Please sign in to post.

Picasso Museum tickets

I've tried a couple times to buy tickets, not tours, for the Picasso museum in March, but cannot find a button for just a ticket. Rick Steves says it is not a dependable website. Is it too early to get a ticket? I don't want to take a tour. Any ideas?

Molly

Posted by
1439 posts

I’m gobsmacked— there’s doesn’t seem to be an obvious way to buy an admission ticket on the Picasso Museum’s website. Most museums have a box to click that says “tickets” or “ plan your visit.” The Picasso’s website has a “Guided Tours” box and “Free Admission Days.” BTW Thursdays from 5pm to closing time are free. You just need to reserve your free visit on the Picasso’s website!.

Posted by
7314 posts

Hi Molly, if you’re talking about the Picasso museum in Malaga, we were there a few days ago after breakfast. We just walked up to the museum and purchased our ticket there - about 15 minutes after they opened. I did see a line forming later as we were leaving.

The tickets were €8 each for us. I don’t remember if that was a reduced senior rate.

Posted by
788 posts

If the Picasso in Barcelona, I’ve also been monitoring for March. There is a major joint exhibit with the Miro exhibit through February 25, 2024. I am assuming that March’s calendar is not yet available online due to that.

I do wish I knew if the Picasso Museum might be closing for a few days to change exhibits as is not uncommon, but I haven’t been able to find any info despite searching in English and Spanish on the website and general google searches.

If you start a test buy of the combined ticket two museums option (Picasso and Miro) on the website, you can see a February and March calendar. Totally unavailable after Feb. 25. I can’t believe that will be the case...

Posted by
70 posts

It is the Barcelona Picasso Museum that I am trying to secure tickets, sorry for the left out location. I have had the same experience as Kenko, no simple ticket button. And it had crossed my mind that the Miro show was a factor. I will keep checking and post any progress I make. Kenko and ORDtraveler, if you come across something, please let me know.

Thanks,
Molly

Posted by
2 posts

I am having the same issue. It's driving me crazy. I will be there in April, and it probably is too early, based on some other museums I am looking at in Spain. Still it's so confusing! If I figure it our, will come back to this forum.

Posted by
70 posts

Does anyone have experience with opting for the "free" ticket times? Seems like it could be so crowded it was not worth our time.

Posted by
27176 posts

Molly, the Picasso Museum can be sardine-like (I'm not exaggerating) even when you have to pay for entry. That's what I encountered way back in 2016, and there are more people traveling now. The museum could not possibly have been more crowded than it was; I wondered why the fire marshal allowed it. Maybe I was unlucky with my timing, because others here haven't reported quite as packed conditions.

I do think your odds are better outside the free hours; just understand that you may not have a good viewing experience. The Miro Museum, MNAC and other art museums in Barcelona are much, much less crowded.

Posted by
14 posts

I’m also experiencing the same thing. Have been try for weeks to buy tickets for March. They have an option for the Picasso/miro exhibit, but no dates after February 25, presumably because the special Miro exhibit ends Feb. 25. I’m hoping they’ll update their site for dates past that.

Posted by
1439 posts

I wonder if the Barcelona Picasso Museum is so popular now that the museum is essentially requiring visitors to book a guided tour in order to gain admission. That certainly would thin the herds…

Posted by
88 posts

the museum is essentially requiring visitors to book a guided tour in order to gain admission.

No, this is definitely not true. We were there two weeks ago and had audioguide tickets. I think the problem is that their ticket portal is not always clear, sometimes you have to click through the "activity" to see what that ticket really represents.

Posted by
91 posts

I thought I did this today but it was actually for the Madrid Theatro Real Audio Guide tour that was having a similar problem. In the case of the Theatro Real web site, it does seem flakey. In general, when these overseas sites seem difficult, I recommend the following:

1. Use a large screen computer display, NOT a tablet or phone. The page translation down to smaller sizes sometimes seem to not be tested very well. 2.Use the site in its native language, in this case Spanish (esp or maybe even Catalonian). Peruse site in English if needed and then switch to Spanish when something seems to "disappear".

Disclaimer: The above comes from 35+ years as a full stack software developer/analyst who has seen every imaginable problem from software (especially web user interfaces) that is not adequately tested in all scenarios.

Good luck, I will also be after those same Barcelona/Picaso tickets in mid march so if anyone cracks this case, let us know.

Posted by
70 posts

I am going to keep trying to get tickets for first thing in the morning or last hour, not during free times. I agree with Craven that it totally ruins a visit to jammed into crowds. I will report back when I am successful.
Thanks for the help so far!