Please sign in to post.

Passports

I have two pairs of travel pants that have a pocket inside the pocket. The interior pocket also has a Velcro closure, so this is the most secure place for our passports. We visited several places at which we had to show ur passports to get in or to rent an audio guide. This was unexpected, and it was only because of those pants that we had them. Don't leave your passports in the hotel safe. You may need them in places you would least expect.

Posted by
1625 posts

We use our California Drivers license to rent audio guides, but we knew beforehand what the requirement was to rent to audio guides and what was accepted. I would not feel comfortable handing my passport over to anyone that was not performing official/required business with it. Glad it your pocket pants worked !

Posted by
2942 posts

This topic has already been covered in the past: you need to carry a legal form of ID with you at all times, that's the law in Spain. Legal form of ID is either passport (no photocopies), National ID (if your country issues one) or European Driver's License (not US!), anything else is not a legal form of ID.

Not going to go thru the endless silly discussions on this issue: this is the law in Spain and it applies to everybody, locals and visitors. Period.

Now, whether you want to leave your passport in your hotel, that's your prerogative, but you are now warned that you could potentially be asked to ID yourself to a Police officer (f.e. if you're involved in an incident or an accident, or simply if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time) and not carrying a legal form of ID can result in being taken to the Police station and even be fined. I have to say this doesn't normally occur, I've never had to IDfy myself in 40+ years, but ID checks do happen.

Something else is what to show as ID when using say, your ccards in a shop or a restaurant, or to prove your age to apply for a discount in an attraction. For those, it's to the discretion of the company; in some, a mere library card with your photo and doB will suffice -especially for those applying for discounts-, in others, you'll need your passport (fe. when using your ccard in major supermarket chains).

Posted by
8069 posts

Leaving a passport for an audio guide has to be the absolutely worst idea every. There is no security, they are thrown in a drawer or file and if they lose them or they are stolen, you will get a shrug and it will be your problem and steal a huge hunk of your vacation to deal with. And then your name will be on a border list for a stolen passport for the rest of your travel days. (I know someone who got extra security at the borders for years after her passport was stolen)

I use a driver's license for collateral for a loaned item; if that goes astray it is a minor thing to replace. I have had business at the US Embassy in Paris and sat in a waiting room full of hysterical people whose trips have been upended by lost passports. I'll take my chances that having it in the hotel safe and just carrying the passport card will result in unpleasantness with the police.

Posted by
2768 posts

For audioguides I have always given my US drivers license and have never had a problem. Whether or not I had my passport on me (not getting into that mess of a discussion!), I am not giving it to an audioguide desk. It's for police, etc. That said, there may be some sights that require it as ID to enter - not familiar with any in Europe offhand, but in Mexico City a famous Diego Rivera mural is in a government building and anyone can enter to see it - with a passport as ID. I'm sure there are similar situations in other countries.

I have never had to provide my passport while out sightseeing in Europe - just at border checks and at hotels for check-in - but it could happen.

Posted by
8464 posts

My state will issue a non-drivers license for ID purposes in addition to your regular drivers license. This is what I take when traveling to use as ID. No way I'd leave my passport at the desk in exchange for an audioguide. They just need an official ID not necessarily your passport. In the past I too have used a library card or an old student ID.

Posted by
8889 posts

My state will issue a non-drivers license. . . . . audioguide. They just need an official ID not necessarily your passport. In the past I too have used a library card or an old student ID.

Stan, to repeat what Enric said at the beginning, a non-EU Driving Licence IS NOT "official ID" in the eyes of the law. A private organisation, like a museum, is free to accept whatever unofficial ID they want as deposit for an Audioguide. But, should you be unlucky enough to be stopped by the police and asked for ID, the only thing legally valid is a national Identity Card from an EU country, or a passport.

Posted by
5697 posts

For audio-guide security, I use my expired driver's license -- no downside in case it gets misplaced. (And yes, it does mean that I carry an extra -- what, ounce?)

Posted by
8464 posts

Chris F, yes I understood that. I meant I would use something other than a passport for getting an audioguide, not for presenting to the police as a substitute for official ID.