Please sign in to post.

Passport question regarding Spain

My wife's passport is set to expire 5 months after the scheduled return date of our trip to Spain. I know the US has an agreement with certain countries, Spain included, that states that a US passport is only required to be valid for 3 months from the scheduled return date of travel. I am just trying to see though if anyone has ever had any issues with this? Thank you.

Posted by
8340 posts

This is what the US Embassy website says:

Check the expiration date on your passport carefully before traveling to Europe. Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure. If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes. You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area. For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months’ validity remaining whenever you travel abroad. For more information, please see the State Department’s Schengen FAQ page.

I'm pretty sure that this is the information you had. It sounds like you should have no problems. Here is the key issue, when is your trip? I would not consider trying to renew the US Passport unless you have a full 6 months before you are scheduled to leave. If you have that much time, go ahead and renew- use expedited service.

Posted by
7514 posts

Simply check with your Airline. Most airlines either state their policy on the website, or have a link to an app you fill out that will indicate if you are OK.

While the embassy information is helpful, and I suppose the Spanish Embassy has information, if your airline refuses you boarding, you are not going. The airline, under International Carriage Law, has the responsibility to verify documentation or face fines and penalties, so they take it seriously.

The most common guidance is 6 Months from date of departure, so she is likely on the edge. The standard advice is that you have time (though you do not mention your travel date, but assume she has 6+ months left now) so go ahead and renew. Things are a bit backed up, so you are probably looking at an expedited option, or if dire, finding an in-person appointment.

Posted by
4 posts

We are scheduled to travel in September so we unfortunately don't have time to renew at this point. I have not been able to get in touch with Iberia at all about any of my questions... I was mainly curious if anyone has had any personal experience with this issue. I will try checking more with the airline like you recommend though. Hopefully with get through somehow...

Posted by
7514 posts

If it helps, on the Iberia Air website, under "Documentation" (Your Flight>Booking>Documentation) they provide a link to the IATA Travel Center https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

This is indicating they use their database to determine document eligibility. If you follow the link and enter Spain as your destination, it will lead you through a series of questions, and indicate if your documentation is OK, it also will tell you about Covid requirements.

If you are good on the Travel Centre, then you will be good with Iberia

Posted by
4 posts

IATA says we should be good and I have a message in to Iberia and will try to also ask them, so hopefully good to go. Thank you for the replies.

Posted by
6503 posts

If you don’t get a reply from Iberia, try British Airways since it owns Iberia Airlines.

Posted by
2939 posts

Not exactly so... both Iberia and BA belong to the same group IAG, but they are separated operations. In fact, IAG manages several airlines: British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Level and Air Lingus.