Please sign in to post.

Passport question

If traveling on day trip from Seville to Jerez,or any other 1-2 hour train rides, do you have to carry passports or is driver’s license enough for an id? It would be nicer not to have to carry passports to a jerez roman bath. Thanks ahead.

Posted by
16893 posts

I understand the motivation, but that's a fair way to go without legally valid ID. The driver’s license is really just for driving. See similar threads, such as this one where Enric has addressed Spanish law.
Rail passes also require you to carry passports, FYI. Regular train tickets will usually only require ID for certain advance-purchase deals, and I have not checked those Spanish ticket details recently.

Do they have reason to prefer the Jerez location to some bathing options in Seville?

Posted by
107 posts

Ok thanks - we will carrry our passports. Yes we have been to the Hammam baths in Jerez and want to go back. And appreciate the reply!

Posted by
7544 posts

My general rule is, if just popping down to a local restaurant or a short walk, I typically leave the passport in the room. If out for an extended day in a larger city, I now will take it with me most times. If I am taking a train, bus or rental car someplace, then will always have it.

Security issues have just changed to a point that having positive unquestioned ID has a value, and can avoid being held for a short time. Yes, rare, but enough examples to force me to be prepared.

If the bath is within walking distance, then drivers license is fine, if extended public transport, then bring the passport.

Posted by
7277 posts

If your drivers license is just a USA one, that’s not a recognized identification in Europe. We were on a train two years ago heading to Annecy, and some armed security agents
were scanning all of the men’s passports.

Posted by
15582 posts

When I've been asked for ID, my driver's license has always been sufficient. Note, I'm not telling you not to take your passports. I am much more protective of my passport when traveling than credit cards and cash, which are a lot easier to replace.

Posted by
5259 posts

Whenever I travel I always leave my passport in the hotel safe. I've never been asked to provide ID however as I'm always in possession of my photographic drivers licence I'm confident that it would be sufficient for most if not all the ID requirements I might be subjected to. The risk of losing my passport is a far greater likelihood than being subjected to an ID check and therefore I would rather lower that risk.

Posted by
2941 posts

... again, the Law says that you need, yet carrying a photocopy won't get you detained or anything of that sort, LOL! Would you be breaking the law?... technically yes, but in this matter, our police (talking about Mossos d'Esquadra, the police here in Catalonia, elsewhere in Spain they have Policia Nacional and Guardia Civil, and they have different policies) is rather "understanding" when it comes to visitors -unless you're suspicious of something, of course, or you're committing a felony or involved in a brawl or drunk as a skunk. Furthermore, as mentioned above, it's unlikely you'll ever be asked to produce ID for no reason (avoid cocky officers though!).

I feel my duty is to explain what the rules are but, on a personal note, if I were on your shoes guys, I would carry a photocopy and leave the passport at the hotel. It's very unlikely you'd land in hot water with the police for not carrying it... maybe if you happen to stumble into a police raid, or a tumultuous brawl in the street, or a terrorist attack.... and then, you'd be taken to the station for proper ID (maybe a small fine too) but not detained or anything, it'd be just a nuisance but nothing serious to worry about.

However, carrying the passport, as mentioned above, may have another purpose.... to allow you to use your credit card in certain establishments (say many big supermarkets or some restaurants or some shops with expensive items). This requirement -to show a valid ID- has decreased over time now that the pin&chip cards are prevalent everywhere but there are still instances in which you need to present a National ID or a passport.

Posted by
107 posts

Thanks everybody, I believe it’s best to take passports with us due to being on trains. Appreciate all responses.

Posted by
8889 posts

Sandy, I would like to add that passports may be exotic documents to a North American, but passports (and citizen's ID cards where issued) are everyday documents in Europe. Mine sits by the door next to my wallet and keys, and is well worn, because I need to carry it regularly.
If you have print-at-home tickets with your name on it, then the ticket inspector is supposed to ask for your ID. And that ID is a passport or (for EU citizens only) a national ID card. Nothing else counts.

Posted by
23266 posts

Chris -- you are correct about a lot of American's (don't know about Canadians) are paranoid about carrying a passport. Probably because we have traveled with it so many years that it is second nature to always carry it. In nearly 25 years of travel we have been stopped twice for passport. Both situations had a little tension involved and I was very glad that I did not have to explain that my passport is in my hotel room safe and photo copy is just as good since someone on the Rick Steves' web site said so. It is not a big deal, carry it.

Posted by
6531 posts

Look at it from a slightly different perspective, if there was an emergency (political, natural disaster, etc.) and you had to leave the country without being able to get back to your hotel in Sevilla, what documents would you need to get out of the country? Take them.

Posted by
4825 posts

...if there was an emergency (political, natural disaster, etc.) and you had to leave the country without being able to get back to your hotel...

As someone mentioned awhile back, in the unlikely (but not impossible) event something like that happens, with a passport and credit cards one can go anywhere even if one has to abandon everything else.

Posted by
2941 posts

... one needs to add that you're visiting a technologically advanced country, i.e new passports or national IDs for locals are issued on the same day. So, depending on the bureaucracy of your consulate/embassy, your ID can be confirmed very quickly, and when that's done, issuing you a new passport should be a breeze -again, it'll depend on the efficiency of your diplomatic staff and their procedures, of course, but I would think a citizen of Australia, the US, etc. should have a reasonable response from their civil servants, right?

Posted by
107 posts

Ok guys! This is quite an education for all of us as travelers. So now that this is on! What is your opinion on the value of global entry cards as id? Do not worry I am just curious as I never carry it, my passport is fine upon US entry back. Great posts, I did not know some of this things. I have been a traveler for a long time now and still enjoy learning—this stuff about UK was very interesting. Thank you Bill and Enric and the rest of you.

Posted by
11294 posts

" I would think a citizen of Australia, the US, etc. should have a reasonable response from their civil servants, right?"

Enric, you gave me a good laugh!

I can't speak to Australia, but you have obviously confused the US with another country.

Posted by
5259 posts

As to why UK subjects feel they need a BLUE passport is beyond understanding.

A bit of a sweeping accusation isn't it Bill! I can see you don't like the idea of Brexit (I hate that term!) but please don't assume the rest of us are in the "raise the drawbridge, give us blue passports" brigade.

Posted by
2941 posts

wow!, I inadvertently opened a can of worms, didn't I? LOL!

Posted by
8889 posts

What is your opinion on the value of global entry cards as id?

Useless (or less use than a driving licence which is not legal ID). Nobody will have seen one before, or probably even heard of one.

@Bill - I totally agree with your sentiments. Other countries can get their passports renewed over the counter at embassies, and at local consulates as well. The British Government insists you send it off for 3-10 weeks. If you look at the website it says "do not book travel until you receive your passport back". "Book travel", I think they are living in the 1950's when you planned each border crossing 6 months in advance. I cross the border most weeks, sometimes by bus, or train, or on foot. None of it is "booked".
Last time I had to renew my passport I was "grounded", I couldn't travel for work or pleasure.
I am legal in Switzerland as I have a Swiss foreigners ID card, but that is not valid in other countries.

But then, overseas UK citizens weren't even allowed to vote on the Brexit referendum, and we will be some of the most affected. So as far as the British Government are concerned, we don't count,
(end rant)

Posted by
1296 posts

I suspect Enric was being ironic about the effectiveness of Spanish civil servants. Unless, of course, they are models of efficiency in Catalonia; otherwise they are not famed for flexibility and snap-to-it service. And in Andalucia, for not even going to work for many years and only being found out when someone at the ayuntamiento wanted to arrange a long service award.

A couple of years ago I was on a Barcelona HoHo tourist bus where the recorded commentary advised people, because of the petty crime, to leave passports at the hotel and carry a photocopy. That may not be legal strictly, but I suspect they had discussed it with the mossos before including it on the tape.

Huge numbers of foreign tourists are in Spain and many are visiting beaches. They aren't, I am sure, taking their passports with them each day. Again, the local police are realistic.

And whilst I understand in theory the point about having a passport if something bad happens, I wonder in practice when this would really help. I can't think of any realistic event during your day-trip from Seville to Jerez which means things are so awful that you can't get back to Seville, but also okay enough that a passport would help in Jerez. There may, indeed are, countries where you carry your passport in case the government suddenly collapses and your own country sends aeroplanes to fly its (and only its) nationals out. It happened not far away in Tunisia a few years ago. But it's not a concern in western Europe.

Posted by
2941 posts

aha!.... so you must be living in "upper Diagonal", huh? LOL! :))))

Posted by
5515 posts

What is your opinion on the value of global entry cards as id?

It works if you want to get an audioguide at a museum.

Posted by
107 posts

Ok everybody, this has been the most fun!!! We will carry passports on trains,not at the beach,global id for museum audios, international driving permit for car, and california id for groceries!. We were in Spain last year so we are in the same apt, a safe one when going to the beach, and being spanish and fluent I will show all my identifications as needed. I will state I am a US citizen too. I have enjoyed all the posts— glad we could all laugh and learn. Love the forum!!