Please sign in to post.

Parc Guell?

We are going to Barcelona in late September and will be there just 3 days. I had planned to visit Parc Guell for sure, and recently a friend of mine discouraged it. She was there for a month and said she and her husband both were unimpressed with it. This surprised me, as it was one of my "must see" sights.
Any thoughts on this?
Pat

Posted by
5581 posts

We liked Parc Guell a lot. We went right away in the morning and lined up about a half hour prior to opening. The weather was gorgeous and fun to be outside. We did Parc Guell in the morning and then La Sagrada Familia in the afternoon. On a warm afternoon, I think Parc Guell may not be nearly as fun.

That said, you have just three days, so you probably really need to prioritize "must sees".

Posted by
421 posts

I tried to like Parc Guell, but for me it was too many people, and just a few compelling pieces/architecture/works. As said before, best to go in early and maybe beat the crowd. Ended up just trying to get through it and move on to other activities.

Posted by
23 posts

Different people have different tastes. If you are looking forward to visiting it, then go and make your own opinion. We were in Barcelona a few weeks ago but we're not able to get tickets so there's a reason for us to return!

Posted by
2076 posts

I’ve always wanted to visit. We did last September and I loved it. We missed the crowds, so that was good.

Posted by
3246 posts

I tried to like Parc Guell, but for me it was too many people, and just a few compelling pieces/architecture/works. As said before, best to go in early and maybe beat the crowd.

What Pete said! I don't regret going there, but it just wasn't all that. Skip Parc Guell and visit Saint Pau instead.

https://santpaubarcelona.org/en/

Posted by
464 posts

We were there last month. It’s a larger walking park than I thought. We really enjoyed the views from the highest point! We liked the interesting architectural creations a lot…but thought there was more of that. Glad we went though. Loved loved Gaudi’s cathedral! Curious as to his many other works/locations we did not see.

Posted by
3114 posts

I was there a few years ago, and also wasn’t overly impressed.
It was interesting enough, but not memorable.
I enjoyed the walk back downhill into the city centre much more, stopping to look at tiny shops and for lunch.
Just my opinion, but go, and form your own.

Posted by
3904 posts

Parque Güell is overrated in my opinion, it's basically become a no go zone for locals in the last few years, over run by tourists like Las Ramblas or La Boqueria.

Instead I'd suggest some time at the Hospital de Sant Pau for modernista architecture and a relaxing stroll without much tourists or any lines or tour groups etc.

Parque del Laberinto de Horta is another lovely park without many tourists, it's a 18th-century neoclassical garden on a former palatial estate with a English hedge maze.

Posted by
1430 posts

I was surprised that Park Guell is on so many lists citing Barcelona’s “Top 5 Attractions.” That may be what first drew my interest in planning a Barcelona itinerary for a couple weeks from today. The Park’s Monument Zone drew so many international visitors that the city of Barcelona began charging admission between 9 am and early evening— maybe more to discourage the stampede of visitors who were loving it to death— than to fund its maintenance.
A friend who has been there echoed the sentiment that— given the wealth of Modernista attractions throughout Barcelona— Park Guell is today perhaps not the same place it was when Walt Disney visited it way back when and got inspired to build an amusement park we know as Disneyland.

Posted by
5581 posts

While Barcelona has a whole lot of Modernista sites, the thing with Parc Guell is in addition to the uniqueness, its outdoors and a park. Seems obvious to say, but the other sights are buildings and while Casa Mila has the rooftop, everything else is mostly buildings. Amazing buildings at that, but being outdoors, Parc Guell's structures and the mosaics are completely different. I think its key to get there first thing in the am. So many of the Barcelona sites are crowded so I wouldn't make that the determining factor. However, I'm not sure I'd put it in my top 5 for Barcelona, probably in the top 10. That said, with only 3 days, you need to be pretty selective on your sights.

Posted by
86 posts

I agree with Pete and the others - glad I visited but too many people. Especially those trying repeatedly to get the "perfect" selfie in front of every interesting sculpture/building. Hard to see the sites for the tourists....

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone for your varied replies! Lots for me to think about. I had assumed I'd go, and agree I like the idea that it's outside, and a park, and not another building. And yet, it seems it may not make my list after all.

Posted by
1430 posts

Here’s a tip on how to see the Monument zone for free before Park Guell officially opens at 9am. You can go at 7am and there will be very few people there because the general public is told opening time is at 9am during August; 9:30am in September. Barcelona residents are allowed free entry before 9am by registering online. However, there is no monitoring of who enters the Monument zone before 9am and since it has no fence around it, there is no physical barrier preventing visitors from venturing into the zone before it officially opens at 9am. That is when ropes are put up and the line begins forming for employees to begin checking for admission tickets, which this year is €10 for an adult.

Posted by
9 posts

Agree with a lot of what's already been said. We were just in Barcelona about a month ago and went to Parc Guell (it was the only Gaudi site we did not have time to see the last time we went to Barcelona) and frankly, we left thinking we were right to skip it the first time.

For one, it's really out of the way compared to the other sites. For another, the architecture pales in comparison to La Pedrera and Casa Mila, and even Sant Pau, as another poster suggested (and I also highly recommend you do that instead. It was definitely in our top 3 architectural sites and a lesser frequented one by tourists it seems). Or, another great use of your time would be to go to the Palau de la Musica and see a concert.

One great thing about Parc Guell is that view of the city from the courtyard, but there are so many tourists all cramming into the same spots for pictures that it felt like we couldn't stand and just take in the view and enjoy it without being shoved out of the way by someone or getting asked to take a picture for someone.

If you're looking for a nice park to enjoy for the day, I'd suggest La Ciutedella or Mont Juic (go visit the museum of Catalan art at the top) instead. We biked to both of these places from La Barceloneta where we stayed and relaxed in the beautiful environs and enjoyed a day outside.