Please sign in to post.

Palma de Mallorca

Planning to be in Barcelona in October/November 2023. It is a short trip to Palma. Rick doesn't seem to cover Palma in his Spain guidebook. This forum has mostly older material. Anyone been there lately? Worth a 2-day trip? Favorite sites? Eateries? Accommodations? Thank you in advance!

Posted by
2267 posts

Palma is pretty and would definitely be worth a visit if your were already headed to the islands. But getting there and back for just a two day visit seems like a questionable use of travel time.

There are a number of small cities an east train from Barcelona if you want to expand the trip a bit.

Posted by
7299 posts

Palma is an important cruise ship destination, and a very busy summer attraction. I would worry that some places might have seasonal closures in November. It is an historic place, not just a party-destination like Ibiza in the summer. But I also question treating it as if it were Granada. We were there for a day on a Windstar cruise, and saw no need to take a ship-excursion. It was a nice place to walk around. Can't say I remember the meal.

Rick makes no effort to produce a comprehensive guidebook. That's not a slam, it's just a description of the product. Go to the library for Lonely Planet Spain, maybe.

Posted by
5262 posts

Palma is my favourite Spanish city and I've been there many times, I've been visiting Mallorca every year (sometimes twice a year) for almost twenty years. Last time was just over a month ago. It's a vibrant city so doesn't experience seasonal closures that many of the other towns and villages on the island do. The majority of the main sights can all be reached on foot as it's quite a compact city although the Castell de Bellver is reached by a long uphill road that's a bit of a slog if walking.

There are many, many eateries to choose from but as tastes are subjective I don't tend to provide recommendations however if you fancy a bit of a splurge then restaurant Marc Fosh is a good bet, www.marcfosh.com.