Please sign in to post.

October 2022 itinerary advice

Having cancelled our trip to Spain four times in the last two years we are primed to go this October 11th -26th. I have sketched out a preliminary itinerary and would appreciate any feedback. We have been to Spain before and toured Madrid, Granada, Malaga, Marbella, Ronda and Estepona. Here is what I plan for October:

Fly NYC to Madrid and train to Barcelona.
Barcelona 3 full days.
Fly to Seville.
Seville 2 full days (rent car in Seville).
Cadiz for 3 nights including a day trip to Jerez.
Carmona 1 night.
Cordoba 2 nights (return car).
Return by train to Madrid for two nights.
Return home.

Appreciate comments and advice!

Posted by
4370 posts

Do you have plans for the car? I don't know about Carmona transport links, but I don't see a great need for one otherwise unless you had some day trips planned that require it. Parking could be hairy in Cadiz.

Posted by
27107 posts

I day tripped from Seville to Carmona by bus with no difficulty. Seville has two bus stations, so it's important to check on which one your bus departs from.

Two full days in Seville is super-painfully short. You need at least another day there, and you certainly can't take it from Barcelona. I'd suggest planning to treat Carmona as a day trip from Seville if you have time, playing it by ear. I liked Carmona and have recommended it as a nice side trip, but I would never rate it above a third full day in Seville.

I don't see how having a car is going to save you any time on your itinerary. The driving time for most of the legs provided by ViaMichelin.com is similar to the travel time by train, and with the train you don't have parking and navigating issues. And then, as the trip is winding down, it will take about 1-1/4 hours if nothing goes wrong to make the drive from Carmona to Cordoba. The train covers the entire distance from Seville to Cordoba in 45 minutes.

If you continue with your plan to drive, I think you could hit Carmona in transit, on your way from Cadiz to Cordoba. It won't add much driving time.

Posted by
2267 posts

A minor detail, but I'd look at an "open jaw", or "multi-city" ticket, flying NYC-BCN, MAD-NYC.

A slight difference in fare could be equal to or cheaper than the train, and way easier. If you've already booked most airlines now allow for changes with no-fee, fare difference only.

Posted by
1603 posts

I agree with Scudder about booking open-jaw or multi-city tickets. Fly into Barcelona and fly home from Madrid.

I agree with acraven about spending/needing 3 whole days in Seville. Seville is a gorgeous city architecturally and visually, and is wonderful for wandering and exploring. There are fountains, plazas, parks, etc. Take a carriage ride. See a Flamenco show. Seville boasts many important historical and cultural sites: Alcazar (stunning, ranks right up there with the Alhambra); cathedral; Casa di Piltatos, and many more. Triana is a very interesting neighborhood to explore with a wonderful market. Give yourself time to appreciate the stunning Plaza de Espana. And slowly wander through Barrio Santa Cruz. Have a meal at Mercado Barranca. The list is endless.

Posted by
29 posts

Many thanks for the advice. For several reasons open jaw will not work for us. We have vouchers on Iberia that limit us to only Iberia, not even code share. The flight NYC-BCN, MAD-NYC fare is $300 pp higher than R/T to MAD. And the NYC-BCN flight stops in MAD anyway and I have a condition whereby I can't take multiple flights in the same day without severe ear pain. So that's my sad story but it's not going to stop me from going back to Spain!

I appreciate all the comments about Seville, I may revise the Carmona stayover and just go to Cordoba to give us an extra day.

Again, many thanks for your input!