Please sign in to post.

NYE 2022 in Barcelona

Hi friends,

Any insider tips for how to spend NYE in Barcelona this year?

We're a couple in our thirties. Staying in Eixample. Arriving on NYE early afternoon.

(Staying 5 days – just for context, i.e. there's no rush to accomplish anything, just looking for ideas on how to ring in the new year with current restrictions.)

Thanks in advance!
Felix & Cindy

Posted by
3901 posts

Well considering New Year's Eve festivities have been effectively canceled in the city this year, this is a question many locals are asking themselves too. You may want to just stock up on some gourmet provisions to have at your hotel room. El Corte Inglés would be a good option for that (if it's open on NYE)

Posted by
99 posts

Thank you for the colorful commentary on this tradition Bill! This had me in stiches laughing.

We just got back from Barcelona yesterday, so alas missed this. But this did explain some things I found odd while were there. I noticed how all the lingerie stores had red underwear in the window. I wondered what the obsession with red undies was- this helps!

I also noticed the grapes at the supermarket. And the seeds- oh my goodness. We bought some of the white grapes grown there locally, and definitely noticed the seeds.

Between the Caganer and Uncle Tio the log, and now the red undies and grapes, Catalonia has the most delightful and different holiday traditions!