Hello, Fellow Travelers -
We are lucky to be spending 3 weeks in Northern Spain this July. There is too much to see, so I'd love some help narrowing it down. Note that we are family of 4, including two teenage kids. I'm the one who wants to dash about and see everything; other family members are more interested in taking it slowly (hence the 4-day start in San Sebastian).
We all agree that having time to wander, get a little lost, and then regroup over a tea/pastry/chocolate/ice cream is one of the best parts of traveling. Collectively, we love beautiful landscapes, historic town centers, and cute villages. Personally, I have medieval castles and moorish/Mudéjar architecture on my list. (I realized too late that the Mudéjar architecture wasn't all in the south, but it doesn't work for us to go south to Toledo or east to Teruel...next time!)
So, with that intro, here's our plan, complete with questions about what to do or cut:
San Sebastian (4 days/5 nights)
- Possible side trip up to Elizondo/Zagarramurdi???
- Half day in Hondarribia?
- Where else should we go, or should we just stay in San Sebastian and take it slow?
Santillana del Mar/Picos de Europa (2-3 days)
Oviedo (1 day/1 night)
Leon (2 nights)
- One day Leon proper; one day side trip, but where to? Astorga? Zamora? Sahagun?
Burgos (2 nights)
- One day Burgos proper
- One day driving trip to Orbaneja de Castillo/Frias+
Transfer to Olite (arrive in the evening)
- We can see something on the way. What should it be? Options:
1) Covarrubias/Sto Domingo de Silas
2) Tarazona for Mudéjar architecture? (Worth the detour? Tudela better? Trasmoz???)
3) Longrono (remember - two teenage kids)
Olite (2 nights)
- On the full day, we will see Palace + Ujue
- On the next day (sleeping back in Irun), we are planning to see SOS del Re Catolico - but I'm not sure it's enough time?
Any help you can share would be great.
Muchas gracias a todos!