Please sign in to post.

northern spain itinerary

My husband and I are meeting up with our 16 yo son in Barcelona this July. My son will have just spent a month in Barcelona doing a language program. We have one week and then will fly back to US from Barcelona. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with our week. We hate really hot weather and so don't really want to go to Madrid or southern Spain. I don't want to spend more than a couple of days in Barcelona. Should we fly to the Basque country, do some trips in Catalonia or go somewhere else? Thanks

Posted by
2267 posts

Most of Catalonia will be hot in July, and more humid than Madrid.

The Basque region isn't a bad idea. If you're flying, you could also consider Galicia.

Posted by
6572 posts

If you are renting a car you could drive to the area north of Barcelona to towns such as Vic, Rupit, Castellfollit de la Roca, Núria, and Cardona. I wouldn’t waste a lot of the limited time you have traveling too far away.

If traveling by train you could go to Huesca or Zaragoza and take day trips, but that part of Spain can be miserably hot in summer.

Posted by
27166 posts

The time you have available would be sufficient for a quick visit to the Basque Country, which seldom suffers really not weather. Or the mountains in Catalunya should be OK in the summer. Just check with our experts for suitable destinations. The Cerdanya Valley is likely to be genuine hot. Altitude is important in that area.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
The north coast of Spain looks like Ireland on steroids. Very interesting and lovely. Cool breezes off the Bay of B. We drove there. I don't know what the rail connections are.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
424 posts

To beat the heat the entire coast from Galicia to France is great. Fantastic beaches, fishing villages, mountains you will love it! In July the Pyrenees and the Picos will be wonderful, go high stay cool.