Please sign in to post.

Northern Spain

Recommendations for travel (train/bus) in N Spain- Bilbao, San Sebastián etc places to stay - would like to spend approx 2 weeks there returning to S Spain via Córdoba and Granada.
Thank you for any suggestions
Sue (from Hawaii - in S Spain now)

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Sue! Pls let me know if you receive any info for places to eat - but not to stay - in Bilbao and San Sebastián. I’ll be there in 4 weeks. Thx!
Ira

Posted by
11147 posts

Great info on everything in Spain at maribelguides.com. We used these guides for our trips in Spain, printed them out.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,

When I think of northern Spain I think of the part of Spain along the Bay of Biscay. When in actuality it runs from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. We drove that whole stretch a few years back.

Talarn is northwest of Barcelona near the Pyrenees and has some nice restuarants/places to stay. A local architect has some apartments for rent by the night. It is a village. A nice place to stay with day trips and walks in mind. From there you have to skip much until you reach the Basque region. Doneztebe is a village with a few restaurants and again a nice location for rural exploration. In a car or on foot.

Then you hit the "big city" stretch. We preferred Gijon over Oveido.

There is a cave Cueva del Pindal. It is worth getting into. The location is quite nice.

Just make sure you reach Santiago de Compostela.

wayne iNWI

Guernica and its' neighboring towns is a great place to do a day trip out of Bilbao. The train ride is about 50 minutes and it's a great way to see the beautiful Basque countryside. Also, if you're interested in Spanish Civil War history the peace museum in Guernica is very well done. Just keep in mind that tourists are not as common in the smaller towns so be prepared to speak some Spanish.

Posted by
30 posts

You will find the best info at Maribel Guides. We are in San Sebastian for the fourth time and love it. Just do/eat pintxos and you will be happy. Bar Bergara in Gros is great and 30 Augusto streeet in the old town is row after row of good pintxos places, Gandarias being one.
If you want to rent an apartment in SanSe, we've used Feel Free rentals successfully.