Please sign in to post.

My husband and I are going to Granada and surrounding area April 1-10 2018

My husband and I (we are in our 70s but very active) are going to Granada and surrounding area April 1-10. Dick is an artist who wants to see and will eventually paint Moorish architecture on his spherical paintings called Termespheres. Alhambra is of particular interest. We would also like to spend time getting to know the area. I would love to spend time in a coastal town overlooking the ocean. What are the not-to-be-missed suggestions? Where would you recommend for day trips and how to do them? Right now we are very open to suggestions. thank you.

Posted by
6547 posts

The closest beaches are due south of Granada. Go straight down the A44 assuming you’re driving and you’ll come across Salobrena and Motril. From there, head east, and past Almeria is Mojacar. Of course there are other small town en route. There is a castle at Lanjaron (between Granada and Salobrena). It isn’t spectacular, but the town in nice to walk around. Almeria has a nice fortress and there’s also a castle at Salobrena. I’ve never been, but many people seem to enjoy Nerja. As far as not to be missed, that’s really a personal preference. I enjoy castles. Where to go for day trips will be dependent on whether you’re driving or using public transportation.

Posted by
5213 posts

Mscholz,

I've not traveled to a coastal town near Granada so can't help you.

BTW, I do hope you've already booked your Alhambra tickets for your dates.

I just checked the website and the only tickets left for your dates is for April 10 at 7:00PM.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
15584 posts

The ocean can be seen from Cadiz. The southern coast is on the Mediterranean. I thought there was more Moorish architecture in Sevilla/Cordoba than along the coast.