Please sign in to post.

Merida

A group of three will be in Madrid from Nov 18 thru Nov 22. We wish to visit Merida from Madrid. Any suggestions as to best way to get there (tour, bus, train) and to see Roman ruins and museum. Thanks, Gladys

Posted by
6553 posts

A quick check shows it a 3.5 hours drive or 7+ hours using public transportation. I’ve never thought of it being a day trip from Madrid.

It would be an easier day trip from Sevilla; 2-3 hours via Alsa bus if you didn’t want to drive.

Posted by
543 posts

Gladys, I see you've asked for help with both Merida and Caceres. As others have pointed out, public transit in that part of Spain is a bit sparse and travel times between there and Madrid make it impractical as a day trip. My husband and I did a road trip into that part of Spain some years ago and very much enjoyed it. The roads and traffic were very manageable. My suggestion is, if you have time, treat this as an overnight trip with a rental car. A train between Madrid and Caceres takes a little over 3 hours, but from there I'd suggest a rental car to visit Caceres, Merida and Trujillo. Another option is to use a rental car for the whole trip. You don't mention the rest of your itinerary, but if it includes Seville, Avila, or Salamanca in the north, or Sevilla in the south, there are good, direct roads from those cities to the Merida and Caceres area of Spain.