Please sign in to post.

Mar 2021 Travel to Spain

wanted to get opinion in this forum : Thinking of booking 2 weeks trip to Spain in mar 2021...good idea? or shall we move it further down in 2021. I understand we dont know for sure but whats the chance that travel is opened up by that time?

thanks in advance

Posted by
3904 posts

If this concerns the potential future impact of the current pandemic, nobody can give you a definitive yes or no answer, I personally think that there is a moderately good chance international travel may be back in Spain by March, but I would not put money on it. I'm also not sure what would be the benefit of booking this trip so early in advance, unless it's all fully refundable ;-)

Otherwise do you have any specific itinerary questions, perhaps depending on where you are going, March may not be a good month weather wise?

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks Carlos. I was getting a good deal on flight tickets and hence the thought. I am planning a usual first timer Barcelona/Madrid/Toledo/Seville. Nothing finalized yet. I just saw a good deal and my first action was to come to this forum and check this community.

Thanks

Posted by
759 posts

Your trip, your money. Personally I think people are delusional in thinking 2021 will be “just fine”. Too early to know how the summer treats the virus- it could help quash it and make summer 2020 trips a reality. At the same time the virus could come flying back for round 2 this winter. March is “winter”.

How did Spain do in March 2020? Don’t expect 2021 to be much different. But again, viruses do not follow rule books. Travel over the next two years is going to be based upon short term current conditions (be prepared to act on short notice) and not via long term planning.

Posted by
3904 posts

Ah ok I understand, March is generally a good time to visit those cities, less tourists and more local life (pre-covid), though it can get a bit chilly, especially in Madrid/Toledo area.

Posted by
27111 posts

Next year Easter falls on April 4. That means Holy Week begins late in March. I have severe doubts about winter 2021, but in normal years Holy Week is A Very Big Deal in Andalucia. Hotels rates go up a lot, and lodgings get booked up very early. What will happen next March I do not know, but keep this in mid if you're thinking about being in Spain in late March.

Posted by
2707 posts

I was getting a good deal on flight tickets and hence the thought.

Think there may be an issue here, duh? Most airlines are bleeding money. Their stocks are in the toilet, bonds are illiquid. So you can buy bargain tickets and good luck when the airline is not in business.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks all for your wonderful replies.

Posted by
6534 posts

We prefer May since it’s a little warmer but not yet the main tourist season. As already stated, it can still be fairly cool in March in central Spain. If cool weather isn’t an issue, either month is fine. I expect airlines schedules will change numerous times between now and then.

Posted by
3 posts

I bought tickets to Granada for this Summer ‘20 back in Nov ‘19. American Airlines will allow us to use the credit for until the end of 2021. We will certainly be going next summer. I hope things improve by then.