Please sign in to post.

Mallorca

We are going to Mallorca first week in October. How is the weather? Can we still enjoy the beaches? Any suggestions what to visit. We’ll be there for 7 days and planning to rent a car.
TY.

Posted by
1406 posts

It's tough to say. I was in Menorca in the second week of September in 2018. I only had one day of sun.

However, Mallorca is bigger and offers some city activities beside beach experiences.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you. We are going to start researching what we can do beside going to different beaches and caves.
Mallorca is going to be the last leg of our trip. Going to Madrid and Barcelona before. We were there a few years ago, but never to Mallorca. We were told is a beautiful island.

Posted by
5252 posts

I've travelled to Mallorca many times in October, typically the last week as it's usually the UK half term. The weather is typically great, still warm and sunny but not really beach weather. Relaxing on the beach itself would be fine but the water will be cooling down. If you want to swim stick to the hotel pool.

With seven days and a car you'll be able to see a lot, this is a website that I recommend to people visiting the island https://www.abc-mallorca.com/

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you so much. I guess beginning of October will be warmer than the end of the month. We will be happy just relaxing at the beach. One thing we want to do it’s to visit some caves.
I will take a look at the link you posted.
Thanks again.

Posted by
1 posts

Mallorca in October is great, really! The weather is still great, usually a sunny month, just bring a sweater or jacket for the evening times. The beaches are beautiful as always, but water temps might be a bit lower, I think about 68 F in average.

October brings a lot of local fairs and celebrations on the island. Remember, it used to be a predominantly agricultural area before the 1960's. Some towns to find the better autumn fairs in are: Inca and Campos, where you'll meet the true soul of Mallorca.

October is also great for doing some low-paced physical activities such as walking in the many natural areas. One of my particular favorites is the Sa Dragonera island just off the coast of Sant Elm (Western Mallorca). The Dragonera island is famous for its dragon back shape (hence the name) and its wildlife, specifically the black lizards. There are four marked trails here, which will all take you to some breathtaking viewpoints. You'll need to take the small ferry which takes about 15 minutes.

If you like to do cultural sightseeing, visit the famous monastery of Lluc, situated deep in the Tramuntana. Lluc is one of Europe's oldest choir schools, and if you come on a Sunday morning for the 11 o'clock mass, you can experience the choir of children sing. At Lluc you'll also find a big ethnological museum explaining the history of Mallorca, and a great restaurant.

In any case, I'd recommend driving to the tramuntana, there are just so many stunning places to visit here. The towns of Valldemossa, Deià, Fornalutx and Sóller are just stunning. Actually, Fornalutx has been prized as Spain's 3rd most beautiful village. It's found deep in a lush citrus valley, warm and fertile all year round.

Go to Sóller and take the old antique tram down to Port de Sóller (the harbor and beach town), it's an incredibly beautiful ride, takes about 20 minutes. Port de Sóller is picturesque, with a lot of great places to eat. Sóller town is very charming, also with great places to eat and shop.
On the coastline by Deià, there is the estate of Son Morroig. This places is iconic because of the beautiful marble pavilion that sits on the cliffs overlooking the coastline. It's a popular place for wedding ceremonies, and a great story to it as well.
Valldemossa is incredibly charming and famous for the Real Cartuja monastery where Fredric Chopin stayed in the winter of 1838/39.

Make sure to browse the old streets of Palma city, do some shopping and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere. There are some notorious sights here, including the cathedral, the Bellver castle, the Almudaina royal palace and some of the many interesting museums and exhibitions. October is really a perfect time for visiting Palma.

It's easy to come up with ideas, Mallorca is just such a fantastic place. I'd recommend that you visit one of the greater Mallorca travel guides for more inspiration on things to do, places to visit and tips.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you so much for such an awesome comment! We’ll definitely follow your recommendations. Any suggestions for a good tapas restaurant? We love Spain, their people, and their food and wines. First time to Mallorca, second to Spain.

Posted by
5252 posts

Last night I ate some of the best tapas I've ever eaten. The restaurant was Contrabando in Llucmajor, just south of Palma. Particular favourites were the pork tenderloin with honey and sobrasada, gratinated scallops and iberican pork pate. Also an excellent, extensive wine list.

I've eatan a lot of tapas over the decades of visiting Spain and this little gem of a restaurant served the best.