Please sign in to post.

Mallorca, Menorca, Barcelona - June 2024 (family of four)

Hello all, I am planning my summer family vacation for June 2024. One area that really intrigues me are the Bellearic Islands.
My family includes my eight and six year old children. We would fly from North Carolina, preferably with only one stopover.

Would it be possible and realistic to plan a trip that includes the three bases below?
--- Mallorca: 4 Nights (fly into from USA)
--- Menorca: 3 Nights (ferry into, fly out to Barcelona)
--- Barcelona: 3 Nights (fly back to USA)

We are interested in local food and wine, family friendly beaches, short hikes, swimming, boating, snorkeling, etc. We have traveled several times abroad so we are use to driving in foreign countries and packing / unpacking multiples for two to three bases.

Thanks for your comments and recommendations.

Posted by
2267 posts

That’s definitely possible, but I think most people would agree that three full days (which 3 night wouldn’t give you) in Barcelona short-changes the city. (Not to mention any day trips.)

Posted by
1021 posts

I don’t think it’s worth going to both Mallorca and Menorca. Mallorca is much bigger with a lot more to do. You would be better off just spending the whole time there enjoying it rather than waste a whole day on travelling.

Posted by
5271 posts

I agree with Helen, I would recommend skipping Menorca and tacking the time on to Mallorca instead. Menorca is a much quieter island and doesn't offer anything that can't be found on Mallorca. For the sake of effectively losing a day moving between islands you'd be better off spending it doing something more worthwhile in Mallorca.

Posted by
254 posts

Thank you for the replies.
If we skip Menorca as a base, would it make sense to take a day trip to this island from Mallorca? I read there are ferries that take about one hour to get from Mallorca to Menorca.
Thanks again.

Posted by
5271 posts

What is it that you wish to see in Menorca?

Posted by
254 posts

We would just want to see a really nice beach and local restaurant. If the trip is not too long, it would be a way to just see a few areas and to just say we visited Menorca.

Posted by
5271 posts

If we skip Menorca as a base, would it make sense to take a day trip to this island from Mallorca?

No it wouldn't make sense. If you want a nice beach and a restaurant then there are plenty on Mallorca. If you just want to tell people that you've been to Menorca (?) then yes, go.

Posted by
5271 posts

Stay in one place. Whilst Mallorca is the largest of the Ballearic islands it doesn't take long to drive from one side to the other and anywhere on the island can be reached by car within two hours. Moving hotels is just going to unnecessarily consume time which can be put to better uses.

Palma has the heaviest traffic on the island and is the one place I wouldn't recommend staying in however it is unmissable and fortunately there is a very large underground car park on the main road into the city that is situated within a very short walk from the cathedral. Park the car and within a five minute walk you're in the heart of the city.

The south of the island has some of the most unspoilt beaches however they are also the most lacking in facilities. Further up along the west coast and on the eastern coast the beaches become more popular and better served. Es Trenc beach in the south is one of the more popular beaches, very family friendly with shallow, calm waters. It does get busy, especially on weekends.

The north of the island in the Tramuntana mountains is a hiking paradise and whilst the beaches hidden in the numerous secluded coves are wonderful the water is a lot choppier there and wouldn't be particularly suitable for young children.

Port de Pollença is a small town in the northeast and is popular with families. The calm waters in the bay makes it suitable for young children. This would probably be my choice of location with young children.

Posted by
254 posts

Thank you again for this useful information.

This may be a separate topic, but would you be worried about the recent Mallorca E Coli issues in 2023? We just want to be careful as we will be traveling with our two kids too.

Posted by
5271 posts

I wasn't aware of the e-coli issues you mentioned so I had to do a quick search. It looks like you might prefer to visit beaches that are more open in terms of water as the bays of Palma and Pollença have the highest incidences of sewage contamination.

We mostly stay in Llucmajor as that is where our Marriott timeshare is located so the beaches we visit most often are Es Trenc and Cala Pi

https://www.abc-mallorca.com is a very good site for all things Mallorca.