Please sign in to post.

Mallorca

My husband and I will be going to Mallorca in the first week of April 2023 and are looking for guided tours on the island. We will not be renting a car. We will be staying in Palma. We are interested in seeing the Formentor peninsula, a short hike in the Tramuntana range, Deia, Vallemossa, and Soller, and the drach caves. We are also interested in taking a boat ride out of Soller as we want to see the northern peninsula from the water. Does anyone have any tour companies that they can recommend? I was particularly interested in Withlocals.com as they seemed reasonably priced. Reviews on Trip Advisor were generally good but the reviews on Trustpilot were generally bad. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Posted by
5262 posts

I can't offer you any advice on tour guides as I've never used them however I would like to offer some advice regarding the Drach Caves. The caves are very popular but I suspect that's as a result of good marketing. Personally I found them to be a huge tourist trap and wasn't what I was expecting. The caves themselves are impressive but you are not given the time to appreciate them due to being herded quickly through the caves by the guide ending up in a seating area by an underground lake. If, like us, you were at the front of the queue you will end up sat around for about 30 minutes or more whilst the rest of the visitors make their way to the arena. Once everyone is seated then a boat will appear with a trio of musicians who serenade you with music as they row past. It's over pretty quickly and there's a mad rush for the exit. If you're really interested in being serenaded in an underground lake then the tour may be for you however for a better cave experience that actually focuses on the caves then I recommend the Caves of Arta. There is a touristy light and sound show during the tour but it's a far cry from what is on offer at the Drach Caves.

Arta itself is a pleasant town to visit, www.seemallorca.com/arta, and fits in nicely with your focus on the northern part of the island.