Please sign in to post.

Malaga to Granada April 2019

We're looking into a voyage in April 2019. The ship stops in Malaga 6:00 - 18:00 hr. (in early April). We'd like very much to take a bus (it seems the bus is 1 hr less time than the train) to Granada, visit the Allhambra, then head back to the ship. We thought if we could purchase admission to the Alhambra for around 12:00-12:30, it might work out. The ship carries 2,600 passengers, and I assume we're not the only ones who'd like to go to Granada. We do not want to take a "ship's tour", just use the regional bus service. Another note on the ship-sponsored tour, I'm assuming there will 4-6 buses of people heading for the Alhambra, so these 200-300 people will be arriving about the same time as we would (hopefully we'll get there a little earlier, but who knows). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted by
95 posts

Because of the distance it is extremely risky to DIY this excursion. We were booked on a transatlantic a few years back that was stopping in Malaga and I had booked a ship excursion to the Alhambra. Unfortunately, we had to cancel that trip but did make it to Spain in 2017. (DIY land trip) . We visited both Granada and Malaga on that trip.

I had thought about doing the trip to Granada by ourselves but the risk of missing the ship because of transportation woes was too much - and we are not wimpy travelers. The transit time between the bus station and the Alhambra is easily 30 minutes because of traffic, waiting, etc. Then another 30 going back. The Alhambra is HUGE - we spent 2/3 of a day there and it was off-season.

What happens if you miss the ship? One bad accident that snarls up traffic is all it would take. At least with a ship tour they would be obligated to wait for you.

Posted by
16895 posts

Tickets for timed entry to the Palazio Nazaries section of the Alhambra pretty much always sell out, so one might say that it's always at maximum capacity inside. I understand not wanting to be stuck in the middle of 200-300 people, and I have not done a cruise or cruise excursion, but hopefully you could somewhat distance yourselves while still being within sight/hearing/smelling distance. Rather than sticking together through the gardens, too, I wonder if they would set a meet-up time and location.