Please sign in to post.

Madrid to Toledo - day trip

I’m trying to buy train tickets online for a Saturday day trip. When I put in a random train station in Madrid it says no connection. Are there certain train stations that go to Toledo? Could the tickets already be sold out?
Thanks

Posted by
6547 posts

For departure station, use: MADRID PTA. ATOCHA - ALMUDENA GRANDES.

Using the Renfe site, I plugged in 4 November and plenty of trains showed up with prices beginning at €11.10. If you’re looking more than three months out, that’s probably why nothing is showing up.

Posted by
419 posts

I don't think you need to buy tickets for that trip ahead of time. I made that same day trip and I bought my train ticket that day. Maybe if you're traveling on a public holiday, buy it ahead of time? Otherwise I think you're fine buying it that day, or the day before.

Posted by
27122 posts

If you're sure what day you want to travel, I wouldn't wait until the travel day to buy the outbound ticket. Those trains do sometimes sell out. You never know when there might be something special going on that causes a spike in demand. You don't need to buy very early. If you get locked out of trains when you want to travel, buses are an alternative, but they take much longer.

Rick warns about possible sellouts on trains returning to Madrid from Toledo and recommends buying that ticket by the morning of the travel day.

Posted by
33 posts

One more question. Unlike train tickets in the Netherlands that you can use anytime for the date of purchase, it seems these are specific to the date and time?

Posted by
424 posts

Friday morning Oct 17 some trains had sold out. Monday AM return no problem.
Brad

Posted by
548 posts

it seems these are specific to the date and time?

Yes, although the distance is relatively short, these tickets are intercity rail tickets and thus for a specific date, time and with a specific seat.

Posted by
33 posts

I’ve used this forum before and it has always been a great help. Thank you all

Posted by
2354 posts

The trains can and do sell out. They were sold out this past Wednesday when I was hoping to change or rebuy my ticket for a different time (I purchased it a few weeks ago). Once you know what date you're going I would book a return ticket.

Posted by
1 posts

We are travelling now. On line was too difficult and showed sold out. I was using Safari maybe try Google browser. We came to Atocha station and purchased at the office. Hard to find but kind staff directed us a few times. 44Euro return for 2 . This train appears sold out now as my husband and I had to sit apart. Luckily we brought our PASSPORTS required to purchase!! Atocha train station is like a small airport and very busy on a Saturday morning. We had to queue to put bags through X-ray but line moved very fast. We are off now looking forward to seeing Spanish country side. I’ve never been on a fast train before as from Australia. Also staff good with English not fluent but enough.

Posted by
2267 posts

Atocha train station is like a small airport and very busy on a Saturday morning.

Atocha is never quiet, but yesterday was the first day off of the Christmas holidays — half of Madrid was headed for the exits.