Please sign in to post.

Madrid September 3 to 7th, 2022

Hello:

We are two Canadians who will be in Madrid from September 3 to 7th. We then fly to South of France. What is the best way to get in to downtown from the airport? Is there a shuttle service that one can book ahead. Our hotel is near the Retiro. ALso, we don't have much time in MAdrid.... .should we spend a day in Toledo with this much time. Thank you.

Janet

Posted by
6507 posts

I know you can take the metro or train to Atocha. Others will know about busses or shuttle services. Which you take could be determined by where the hotel is. For example, if your hotel is very near Atocha the metro isn’t the best option. Likewise, if your hotel is near the Retiro or Principe de Vergara stops, the metro might make more sense. Check the distance from whichever mode you choose to your hotel. The furthest part of Retiro park is a mile from Atocha station while the closest is 1/4 mile or so. Also, the Paseo Del Prado between the Plaza de Cibeles and Atocha is now pedestrian only, so I’m not sure about taxis along that street if your hotel happens to be along it.

Posted by
2267 posts

Cabs are flat rate. Subway requires connections. Commuter train is direct and easy from one terminal, a pain from the others. There are lots of blogs covering the details of these—easy to search for.

If you arrive on the 3rd and depart on the 7th you’d have just three full days for Madrid—if skip Toledo this time.

Posted by
1599 posts

I recommend taking the cab from the airport to your hotel. It's inexpensive and so much easier than dealing with public transportation and handling your luggage.

If you love art, I think you should spend all of your time in Madrid. We had 3 full days in Madrid and didn't see everything we wanted to see. The Madrid art museums are outstanding! And there is Retiro Park, markets, the Royal Palace, Temple Debod, etc.

Posted by
7175 posts

Unless you want to spend long hours pouring over the exceptional art treasures in Madrid’s museums, then I’d definitely plan a day to Toledo.

Day 1
am...City Walk

Temple of Debod
Plaza de Espana
Plaza de Oriente
Plaza Mayor (morning coffee)
Puerta del Sol
Metropolis Bldg
Plaza de Cibeles
Puerta del Alcala

Lunch in the Salamanca district before strolling thru Retiro Park.
pm...Prado Museum

Day 2
am...Royal Palace
Visit Basilica San Francisco el Grande, before exploring the historic La Latina district, with lunch on Plaza Santa Ana.
pm...Reina Sofia Museum

Day 3
Toledo
Ensure you get to Santa Cruz for its opening at 10am and you will get the most out of your day, time wise.
10:00 Santa Cruz Museum
11:30 Cristo de la Luz
12:15 Santo Tome
13:00 Lunch
14:00 Synagogues (one or both depending on time!
15:30 Monastery San Juan de Los Reyes
16:30 Cathedral (closes 18:00)

Posted by
27062 posts

There are also airport buses into town. The final stop is right outside Atocha Station. When I took the bus in 2016 there was one other stop along the way, so whether the bus would be more convenient for you than the train depends on the location of your hotel (and that stop--which I don't remember off the top of my head).

Posted by
1402 posts

From Madrid Barajas Airport’s Terminal 4, your best bet is a direct train ride to Madrid’s Atocha train station in 35 minutes. From Atocha, the metro line is four stops from Puerto del Sol and five stops from Gran Via. The other Airport Terminals use metro routes that take too long to get into the city and involve transfers which isn’t practical when arriving with luggage after a long flight. The buses from the airport into Madrid take an hour or longer. Taxis are another good alternative and they’ll get you to the door of your hotel for about €30.

Posted by
12 posts

We were just in Madrid in July. We took the special bus (green) from outside terminal 4. One leaves every 15 minutes and it is 5 euros. The 3rd stop is Atocha station. We left the airport at 815 am and were in the station at 9. There are racks for suitcases on the bus. A taxi will be about 30 euros.