Please sign in to post.

Madrid in June

Last summer, we went to Barcelona and absolutely LOVED it! We would like to return to another city in Spain again this year, but my biggest concern is the summer heat. As a school teacher, the earliest I can start my vacation is June. 15. I'm thinking Madrid may not be as hot as Southern Spain? (We have already been to the Basque region.) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Posted by
7175 posts

Officially summer in Madrid, the temperatures warm up in June, and this is probably the best time to visit the city. Very warm, but not as hot as the coming months, June is a great time to see everything Madrid has to offer. You can expect an average temperature of 21°C, which reaches an average high of 29°C, before falling to a still rather warm low of 13°C during the evenings.
Rain is minimal in June, which is great news for those who don’t enjoy having to carry an umbrella around, with only an average of 30mm throughout the month, affecting 6 days to some degree. On the other hand, Madrid enjoys a huge 12 hours of sunshine per day in June, meaning sun-cream is a definite must.
From http://www.holiday-weather.com/madrid/averages/june/

Madrid in June is far more tolerable than July or August. Have you considered Northern Spain from Santander (Cantabria) through Oviedo (Asturias) to Santiago de Compostela (Galicia) ?? The Picos de Europa mountains are in there too.

Posted by
1520 posts

Madrid is the third largest city in europe with the main tourist area being relatively small. We stayed three days and felt we could have done it in two. That said, madrid offers wonderful art museums and several day trip opportunities. Madrid offers ease of connection to Seville via high speed train. If you only have a week than a Madrid and Seville itinerary will help round out your knowledge of Spain.

Posted by
15560 posts

Toledo and Segovia are also higher altitude, like Madrid. Spend a couple of nights in Toledo, a night in Segovia. These are popular destinations for day-trippers, so you'll enjoy them more with overnight stays.

Granada may also be more comfortable and well worth a couple of nights, if only for the fabulous Alhambra.

While Madrid doesn't have nearly as much to offer as Barcelona, there are sights to see. Of course there are the superb art museums. The Naval Museum (between the Thyssen and the Prado) is very good (you must bring your passports to gain entrance). The royal palace is beautiful.

Posted by
740 posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Still working on my travel plans for next summer, so no decisions made yet! I really appreciate your input.

Posted by
387 posts

I spent a month in Spain this past summer, staying mostly in Barcelona, but did a 3-day trip to Madrid in late June. Because I had purchased plane tickets from Barcelona-Madrid, I couldn't change my dates, and I ended being in Madrid when it was 100 degrees every day for three days. I saw everything I wanted to see in three days without rushing. There's not nearly as much to see there as in Barcelona. I'm glad I went to see the major art museums and other sights of Madrid, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Barcelona. It's going to be hot anywhere you go in Spain in late June. Be sure to check whether places you're staying have air-conditioning if that's a must for you, since most places don't.