Please sign in to post.

Madrid hotels

I will be in Madrid for two nights., arriving from Granada by train. I want to see the Prado. When we check out we will be going to the airport. If possible, I would like to go by train or metro, but I can take a taxi. I will have a rolling suitcase. I would like to pay no more than 250 euros per night for a hotel room. Where do you recommend I stay?
​​​​​​​

Posted by
27063 posts

I stay in much cheaper hotels than you can afford with your budget, but I can suggest you consider places near Atocha Station, which will also position you reasonably close to the Prado.

I imagine you'll hear from some posters tomorrow with suggestions in your price range. In the meantime, you can check on what's available for your travel dates on booking.com. Use your dates. When you get the initial list of results you can set filters that match your needs. Then click on "Show on Map" in the left panel. Zoom in on the area where you see a large cluster of hotels. Look for the large green park to the right of that cluster. That's Retiro Park. The Prado is the museum marked by an aqua pin to the left of the middle of the park. Atocha Station is below the left (western) edge of the park.

The rates shown on booking.com will be for two nights if you indicate a two-night stay.

I find the reviews on booking.com quite helpful, because only people who've stayed at a hotel can review it.

Posted by
7253 posts

We have stayed in two hotels in Madrid. This one sounds like what you might like:

At the end of our trip, we stayed at the VP Jardin de Recoletos - a nice hotel with a fully stocked room (dishes, frig, etc.) and sitting area in the room, excellent staff, near the Retiro Garden.

We were planning to take the shuttle bus in the morning to the airport - walked a few blocks to the stop. But, a taxi stopped there and offered to take us and another couple for the same price as the shuttle bus, so the four of us chose that, instead.

(The hotel is 169 Euro/ night on Booking.com for April, as an example.). Bus 14 or 27 will take you from Atocha Station to a block from the hotel.

Posted by
6508 posts

We’ve stayed at Hotel Europa right at the Puerta Del Sol a couple times. It’s right by the Sol metro stop. On our last trip there we stayed at Petit Palace Posada del Peine. It too was by the Sol metro stop and Plaza Mayor. Since the first time we stayed at Hotel Europa in 2014 it has undergone renovations and expansion. For our upcoming trip we’ve reserved at Hotel Europa again. For two nights in early June the total is 234€, including taxes. If you de idea to stay there, don’t get a rate including breakfast. The hotel doesn’t have its own restaurant. Breakfast at the attached café wasn’t worth the additional cost. Breakfast was included in the room price at Petit Palace Posada del Peine and it was a very good buffet (in 2019). The Prado is a 15 minute walk from the Puerta Del Sol.

We take the metro to get to the airport, but you do need to change metro lines a couple times. Total time to the airport is about 45 minutes.

Posted by
2267 posts

Just seconding Acraven’s comment- Staying near (just north of) Atocha positions you close to the Prado, let’s you walk to the hotel on arrival, and means you can easily take a commuter train to the airport rather than the metro, which requires at least one line change to reach the center.

No, you won’t be in the absolute tourist center near Sol, but that’s only a 10-15 min walk.

Posted by
2267 posts

ViaHLS- Don't know when you're going, but I've just learned that a chunk of the Metro line that reaches the airport will soon be closing for a few months of construction. Replacement busses would make that route a real PIA. All the more argument to be positioned for the Cercanias/commuter train.

Posted by
6508 posts

Link to what scudder was referring to. Work is set to commence 12 February and end approximately 30 May. Believe you’ll be there during that timeframe.

According to the article, to get to the airport you will be able to bypass the construction zone by taking Line 4 and picking up Line 8 at the Mar de Cristal station. Link is to a Madrid metro map you can download.

Posted by
1360 posts

The Hotel Europa is in a good location. Ten years ago we took the recommendation from Rick Steves' guidebook and enjoyed our stay there.

Posted by
69 posts

The Westin Palace is a wonderful hotel. Located across from Parque de el Retiro and a two minute walk to the Prado. A similar distance to the Thyssen Museum if that is of interest. There are several nice tapas bars near the hotel as well.

Posted by
6489 posts

I liked the Europa but there are a number of business-type hotels closer to the Prado and Atocha that might be easier for you. Booking.com is a great search tool, with good filters and a map feature, but do your actual booking with the hotel's own website so you're dealing directly with them if a problem arises. I've never seen a rate on booking.com that the hotel couldn't match.

Posted by
6508 posts

@JayKay - believe acraven has. I stayed there decades ago when it was Hotel Buelta, so can’t speak to how it is now. When I was there it was a basic, no frills hotel, but perfectly adequate.
It’s in a good location for the Prado, Retiro Park, and Reina Sofía museum.

Posted by
1600 posts

We stayed at Mercure Madrid Centro on Calle Lope de Vega. It's in an excellent location. Just a short walk from the Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Museums. Within walking distance of Retiro Park and a block away from Calle de Jesus with all its tapas restaurants. It's about a 15-minute walk to Atocha.

Posted by
593 posts

I stayed at Urban Sea Atocha in November 2021. Walking distance from Atocha station, the museums, and Retiro Park. The location was exactly what I needed and the room was fine, with a tiny balcony that overlooked Calle Atocha. The total cost for three nights was €235. I hope you find something that suits. Enjoy Madrid!

Posted by
9 posts

Hello everyone,
I stayed at the Atocha Hilton, Calle Atocha 107. It was few minutes from the train station and convenient to the three main museums (Regina Sophia, Prado and Thyssen. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and the rooms were comfortable. It is very new. The only issue I had with the hotel is that you had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the lobby, but that was a minor issue. We would stay there again. There were many restaurants in the area.