Please sign in to post.

Madrid hotel recommendation

We are going to be in Andalucia for an early Spring break. We will be in Cordoba at the end of our trip and are flying back to the US from Madrid. Since our flight is at 13:00 on a Saturday, we were planning to take a late afternoon train from Cordoba the night before and spend the night in Madrid. Can someone recommend a hotel for a one-night pre-airport stay, near restaurants for dinner and breakfast? It would be great if we could be in proximity to easy transportation to the airport.

Thank you!

Posted by
23266 posts

We have always stayed in the Hotel Europa - central Madrid with lots of restaurants, etc. Then a cab to the airport. May be short -- maybe 20 mins -- someone will correct me.

Posted by
6500 posts

The Europa is a good choice and very central for Madrid, on Puerta del Sol. I stayed there, and also at the nearby Moderno, which was also fine. The Moderno arranged a car to take me to the airport. I think it took more like 30 minutes in late afternoon. I had to walk a block or so to the car because the Moderno is on a pedestrian street. So is the Europa.

There are several chain hotels closer to the Prado and Atocha Station on streets where cars can go -- Mercure, Radisson Blu, probably others. One of those might be more convenient for your purposes. There are lots of restaurants in both neighborhoods, and the hotels provide breakfast.

Posted by
3961 posts

Another nod for Hotel Europa. We had an upper floor room with a balcony that had a great view of Puerta del sol & activity. It was quiet during the night. As mentioned above about 20 minutes to the airport. We enjoyed La Sanabresa for dinner. It’s a 10 min. walk.

Posted by
6525 posts

We too stayed at the Europa on a couple trips, but used the metro to get to the airport. It takes two lines changes and about 40 minutes. For dinner we’ve eaten at Los Cuatro Robles, 3º, Pl. de Celenque, 1, on a couple occasions and enjoyed it. It’s a couple minutes walk from the Puerta Del Sol. In the morning we’ve had churros and chocolate at both Chocolatería San Ginés and Chocolatería 1902. Both are near the Puerta Del Sol.

Posted by
12 posts

As others stated, Hotel Europa is a quality hotel and very centrally located to everything in the historic city core (it is on the Puerta del Sol). Please be aware that the Puerta is undergoing a huge facelift right now (I just returned from Madrid yesterday), so there are construction barriers everywhere in the plaza. A bit of a mess.

I recommend Hotel Europa IF you are looking to be in the absolute epicenter of the action. However, the weekend nights in this area were extremely crowded (as expected). The area is vibrant and you can walk everywhere ... which is part of Madrid's charm. There are fantastic restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk. Personally, my wife and I found the Barrio de las Letras (the Literary Quarter) to be more intriguing and worthy of exploration. Tons of tapas bars and restaurants. I believe it is also 5-10 minutes closer to the Atocha train station and a comparable distance to the airport as Europa.

Posted by
2267 posts

Shariwashburn- The ME Madrid Reina Victoria is one of the iconic hotels of the neighborhood. On a main square and famous for having been the favorite hotel of Spain's top matadors. It's been completely redone inside to a very modern style, but it retains its old facade. I've never stayed there—only been to the rooftop bar for a drink.

Posted by
12 posts

@shariwashburn - Our hotel was not in the literary quarter, so unfortunately I do not have a specific hotel recommendation in that neighborhood. However, I believe there are a good number and range of quality options there, whether you are looking for a hotel or pension.