Please sign in to post.

Madrid, Barcelona, Córdoba, Granada itinerary--July 2017

We were all set to go to Spain in March and had to cancel at the last minute because we all came down with flu. The only time we could reschedule was in July, and although I would not recommend Spain in July because of the heat, we went and had a great time. Here is our jam-packed itinerary in hopes that someone may find it useful. Although there is so much that we could not see, we did get to see everything we had planned and hoped to see, and I hope someday we will return. The hotels we stayed at were superb, and everyone was so nice! I would emphasize booking everything possible in advance--even if attractions and transportation are not sold out, which often happens, it makes things so much easier because you don't have to wait in line. Also, we decided on one day trip from Madrid and chose Segovia over Toledo for the Roman aqueduct. I think it was a good choice for us given that we spent time in medieval Córdoba and got to see some El Greco works at the Prado. We decided to forego Sevilla because it was important to all of us to include Barcelona. AVE trains made this possible!

Spain July 2017--Córdoba, Granada, Madrid, Segovia, Barcelona

Day 1--overnight flight Chicago to Madrid
Day 2--arrive Madrid am, AVE train to Córdoba, night in Córdoba--la llave de la judería--Calle Romero 38
Day 3--Mezquita am, pm ALSA bus to Granada, Hotel Casa 1800
Day 4--Granada, Alhambra tickets purchased in advance, Nasrid Palaces 13:30, Albaicin and cathedral, tombs of Ferdinand and Isabella
Day 5--am train to Madrid--Hespería Madrid, Paseo de la Castellana 57 (from Atocha take metro line to Gregorio Marañón), walk around Plaza Mayor and Royal Palace and environs
Day 6--Madrid--day trip to Segovia, Alcázar and cathedral, ice cream in main plaza with aqueduct, dinner in Madrid at Sobrino de Botín
Day 7--Madrid, HOHO bus, Prado highlights, Reina Sofia museum for Guernica and Picasso exhibit
Day 8--AVE train from Madrid to Barcelona--hotel Praktik Bakery, Provença 279, Casa Pedrera and Casa Batlló (booked latter in advance)
Day 9--Barcelona--10 am Sagrada Familia (essential to book in advance--it was sold out when we arrived), 11am Nativity Tower, Gothic quarter, Cathedral, museum of the city of Barcelona for Roman ruins, walk to harbor and up Las Ramblas, wonderful dinner at Set de Gotic, c/Montsió 5 (across from 4 Gats)
Day 10--Barcelona--more Gothic quarter and Ramblas, Roman temple, old synagogue, ice cream on c/Boquería off Las Ramblas, Picasso Museum, Parc Güell
Day 11--fly home

Posted by
11294 posts

You sure packed a lot in! Glad to hear you had a good trip, and I'll try to remember to recommend this post to others asking about how to see a lot in a short amount of time.

Posted by
209 posts

Hi Chicago, Sounds like a great trip. I'm heading to Spain in September. What was your experience taking the Alsa bus from Cordoba to Granada? We will be doing the opposite, taking bus from Granada to Cordoba.

Posted by
30 posts

Hi Carolyn, the ALSA bus was comfortable, air conditioned, and fine in every respect. I would recommend booking tickets in advance as we did. I would also note that our experience with European transportation is that buses and trains alike leave PRECISELY on time and wait for no one, so be sure to get to the station in good time.