Please sign in to post.

Madrid and Northern Spain

We are traveling to Madrid on April 14 and we are realizing it is Easter Weekend. Sounds like there will be a lot going on in Spain over that weekend. We leave Madrid on April 18 for Segovia and then head to the Basque Country. We plan to spend some time in Segovia maybe even a couple of days using it as a base. I am still trying to decide about this.

At any rate, my question is on Monday April 18 in Segovia will things be open and would we be able to visit or go into some of the sights?

Thank you.

Posted by
641 posts

Easter week starts on Monday 11 and many cities and towns in Spain will celebrate it with beautiful processions / religious parades (religious beliefs are really low in Spain but we love our traditions!!). Monday 18 is a day off in several autonomous communities in Spain (i.e. Basque Country), but to my knowledge it´s a working day in Segovia and no problems with visiting sights. Even if it were a holiday, all sights would be open.

Posted by
172 posts

Several years ago we were in Spain during Easter. The processions (parades) were spectacular and magical. Easter lasts a week not a weekend. Most Spaniards are on holiday and travel from the cities to their hometowns and festivities and family gatherings are everywhere.

But on the downside: the hotel rates in popular areas double or triple. Express trains are often sold out weeks in advance. Decide what you are doing and make reservations now!

Posted by
1943 posts

While cities outside of Sevilla might be less crowded, the hotel rates are at least doubled and finding a budget hotel is near impossible. As others have said, this is a holiday week and many families travel. So sites and transportation will be crowded and hotel rates are crazy.

That said, I did splurge when I found out I was going be in Sevilla during Semana Santa and stayed in a junior suite(only thing available). It was well worth it and I even got to see two processions and sit in on Palm Sunday mass(I'm not a Catholic). Once in a lifetime experience.

Posted by
6888 posts

Madrid itself is likely to be the least crowded city in Spain, since this is THE time when all the people who can afford it leave town on vacation.
By April 18, the travel madness will be over and hotel rates will be back to normal.