Please sign in to post.

Madrid airport connection?

We are arriving in Madrid on an American Airlines flight at 8:30 AM on 3/31. The only direct flight to Pisa, Italy is a RyanAir one leaving at 9:50 AM. No chance I can make that connection, right?

Posted by
672 posts

I would not try it. I am assuming you are coming from the Americas, need to get through Spanish immigration and then to Ryanair because as non EU citizens you have to have your passports verified by a ryanair agent at the airport before your flight and that can take time. Usually that was done on the check in side before passing through security. I used to live in the UK and we flew Ryanair frequently. As Non EU citizens we learned that in some airports you had to wait in long lines at the main Ryanair counters to get the stamp and signature that your documents were verified. In others when we saw a Ryanair floor agent we would go up and ask where we needed to go for the verification. Sometimes that person could do it right then and there without waiting. If not they direct you to the proper line. Once you actually get to the correct agent it only takes a minute. It is an extra step that requires time and at best your time will already be very tight.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the reality check. I'd love to be able to make that flight but will have few options if I miss it.

Posted by
56 posts

I recomend you at least 3 hours of connection in Madrid

Posted by
23177 posts

Hate to ask this question -- if going to Italy, why are flying into Madrid. You know Rome has an airport as does Milan. Another thing to remember is that many of the airlines, especially the discounts, will cut off check-in at 45 mins prior to departure. So you really only have maybe 35 minutes to make it. Save you money don't try.

Posted by
75 posts

You may but your luggage wont. That happened to me last year in Madrid headingfrom Seville to Bayonne. Make sure you carry on if you are going to try it.
Liam