Please sign in to post.

Madrid - Airport

I wanted to reserve a hotel for my last night in Spain with an easy direct connection to the airport. Google maps does not allow any direct connections from central Madrid to the airport via the C1 train. Cercanias /airport web sites clearly show Madrid stations with direct connection to the airport. Am I missing something? construction? any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
6534 posts

Even with the metro you’d have changes to get to central Madrid. The closest you could get to central Madrid via the Metro (line 8, pink) with a direct connection back to the airport is the Nuevos Ministerios station. To get from it into central Madrid is easy, take the metro (line 6, grey) over to Cuatro Caminos then switch to line 2, red. It goes to the Puerta del Sol or all the way to Retiro park. We always stay in Madrid on our last night, at the Puerta del Sol, and use the metro to get to the airport. Maybe because we’ve done it on multiple occasions we find it easy to navigate the metro, but others don’t. From the Puerta del Sol to the airport using the metro takes about 45 minutes.

Posted by
1943 posts

I stay in El Centro also by Puerta del Sol. It's pretty easy with Metro to the airport with the changes and the Metro has sufficient signs.

Posted by
10 posts

does the C1 commuter train not connect Atocha to the airport directly?

Posted by
6534 posts

The route from that train is: C-1: Príncipe Pío - Atocha - Recoletos - Aeropuerto T4
So it would make a stop at Recoletos before arriving at Atocha. There is more information on the Cercanias trains at: www.esmadrid.com or at: renfe.com - Madrid commuter. On the Renfe site, it shows a time of 30 minutes from the airport to Atocha. It also shows you could take the C10 train. The trains leave Terminal 4 every 30 minutes.

Posted by
270 posts

This might not work for you, but we always spend out last day or two at a hotel near the airport - We like Maydrit. It usually costs less than 100 bucks a night, has a nice pool, outdoor area, and is easily walkable to a metro station. In addition, they have a free shuttle to the airport, so that's a savings of time and money. I'm sure there are other hotels that do the same thing, but we go back to the place we found meets our needs.