Please sign in to post.

Madrid airport

Hi, my husband and I will be flying in and out of Madrid from Chicago, April 2024. We have nonstop flights on Iberia airlines. Iberia states we should arrive at the Madrid airport 4 hours to get though security if we are flying to the US. Is this true? I can't find this information anywhere else. Thanks for your help! Karen

Posted by
23286 posts

Wow, four hours seems a bit long. The standard advice has been three hours. It has been awhile since we were through the Madrid airport but as we remember it was an average airport.

Posted by
2376 posts

Will be interested to hear other responses. I'm flying in/out of Madrid from/to the US and was planning the usual 3 hours.

Posted by
2267 posts

I fly out of MAD’s terminal 4 almost every other month and three hours always leaves me PLENTY of time to kill.

Pro-tip: Board the people mover in the middle of the train, and cross the carriage to the doors on the other side. This will leave you aligned to get up the escalators to passport control ahead of most others on the train.

Posted by
1441 posts

I have used Terminal 4 (IB's terminal) many times. I think three hours (without strike) is enough. Enjoy your trip!