Please sign in to post.

Madrid Airport

An airline SNAFU has created a two day layover at the Madrid airport. Does anyone know of an interesting place to stay near the Madrid airport where we will have something to do the day we are there. We already would have spent a week earlier in our trip in Madrid so would prefer someplace else close to the airport to spend the two nights.

Posted by
1585 posts

Hey Joe,

I was in Madrid recently and spent the last two nights before departure in a town called Pedraza and I would highly recommend if you have an interest in food. This tiny village will likely be very quiet; if this is not to your liking, you could substitute it for Sepulveda or, for more activity, Segovia. The towns are not far from Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport. Look into it.

Take care

Posted by
882 posts

I think SNAFU is a good name for an airline. Honesty is the best policy.

Posted by
4574 posts

Have you tried speaking to them about honouring your date to return home? I guess there are continued repurcussions due to the grounding of a lot of aircraft, but it may still be feasible - perhaps you prefer direct flights 2 days later than flight home the same day but with various stops?
Otherwise, Toledo is handy. Segovia is nice and I would like to have stayed overnight there. If you mean you will want to get to the airport from that city, then you need to look at train schedule and timing. Either of my suggestions mean getting to Madrid by train, then across town to the airport. Toledo may have earlier trains than Segovia as it is more of a commuter city.

Posted by
6919 posts

Assuming you do NOT rent a car. Suggestions like Pedraza etc only work if you do.

Alcalá de Henares could be interesting, but maybe not for two nights. Frankly I'd just spend more time in Madrid, and maybe throw in a day trip to Segovia or Toledo, or if you've been to these two : El Escorial, Aranjuez, Ávila...

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Madrid is a big city with many interesting neighborhoods all with unique restaurants. I bet you haven't hit all the neighborhoods.

Go do something you normally would not do. Have you gone to a flea market in Spain? The opera? Live music?

If your two days is immediately contiguous to the days you have planned for Madrid, change location from where you are staying. Same as if the two days are not immediately following previous days there. Pretend you are in a different city, avoid Plaza del Sol.

Rent a room/apartment of a type you wouldn't normally use. If you haven't done an Air bnb, now could be the time to do it. If you use international branded hotels, try a small family run hotel.

Wayne iNWI

Posted by
27198 posts

Alcala de Henares has a very attractive historic area, and I have recommended it in tne padt as a day-trip from Madrid because of very frequent commuter trains, even on weekends. I have not checked on direct connections to the airport.

I love Toledo, which would be my top recommendation except I know some others have found the first trains from Toledo to Madrid are not early enough for their flight schedules. What are your departure date and time? I suspect you could run into the same problem with Segovia, another city that could keep you busy for a day.