Please sign in to post.

Lowest ATM fees in Spain?

Hello Does anyone know which banks have the lowest ATM fees in Spain? I'm from the US and will be withdrawing money with an ATM card from my California credit union. Thanks!

Posted by
8402 posts

Not exactly the answer you are looking for, but you can get ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world and not pay any ATM fees if you simply have the right card to start with. You may not be interested in opening a new account, but I opened a Charles Schwab Investor Checking Account for the sole purpose of travel and holding my travel money. It has worked great for me for several years. Any ATM fee charged by a bank is given back to me as a credit on the next statement. I also like that I am not mixing my travel money and my "living on" money.

I also wanted to mention that if you choose to stick with your current card for travel, you are unlikely to need large amounts of cash unless you are hiring private guides, etc. Make just one or at the most two withdrawals and it shouldn't be too costly. Most of Spain operates with cards and electronic payments. You do want to make sure that whatever card you use has no foreign transaction fees. Those will add up far faster than ATM fees.

Posted by
23301 posts

Generally the only fee that you might pay in Spain using an ATM card would be the a small fee for using that particular ATM. Otherwise all of your fees are set by the network (Plus or Cirrus) and the issuing bank. So talk to your credit union to see what you fees will be. Most (not all) bank owned ATMs in Europe are free to use.

Posted by
2267 posts

Generally the only fee that you might pay in Spain using an ATM card would be the a small fee for using that particular ATM.

The major Spanish banks charge 7 or 8 euro per withdrawal! Not a small fee.

I’ve heard Deutsche Bank’s ATMs are few-free in Spain, but have never found one to confirm it. (I use Schwab just as Carol does, so am not so sensitive to fees.)

Posted by
2746 posts

Confirmed no ATM fee at Deutsche bank, this was 5 years ago. The explanation then was that Spanish banks indeed could and would charge ATM fees, however, Deutsche Bank is not a Spanish bank and followed their own rules. Presumably this would be true for an ATM owned by any bank that happens to not be a Spanish bank.

Posted by
5687 posts

Larry, five years ago is a long time. I was in Croatia and Slovenia last October, and I was shocked that all of the ATMs, even the ones connected to major banks (not just Euronet which I avoided) were charging big fees. They weren't charging any fees when I was last in Slovenia in 2017. Fortunately, my ATM card provider refunds all fees so it wasn't something I needed to worry about.