This will be our families first trip to Spain. We like to try to balance seeing as many things as possible, without feeling like we are rushing. We like history, absorbing the local culture, architecture, etc. We have small children, so will not be doing too many museums (i.e. in Madrid).
Oh and we will be traveling exclusively by bus and train. No rental cars.
Our current itinerary is:
- San Sebastian - 3 nights
- Pamplona - 1 night (San Fermin)
- Barcelona - 6 nights (possible day trips to Montserrat, Girona/Figueres, and maybe Andorra)
- Cordoba - 2 nights
- Jerez de la Frontera - 4 nights (possible day trips to Cadiz, Arcos de la Fronterra, and maybe Gibraltar)
- Seville - 3 nights
- Malaga - 4 nights (possible day trips to Ronda and Nerja)
- Granada - 3 nights
- Salamanca - 2 nights
- Toledo - 2 nights
- Madrid - 6 nights (possible day trips to Segovia, Avila, and Cuenca)
- Should we skip Salamanca? It sounds nice, but seems far for only 2 nights. If we keep it, should we move it to after Toledo to break up the train trip from Granada?
- Is this too much time in Andalusia? Especially for July and early August which I understand is a very busy time.
- Do we need more time in Seville? (I know this conflicts with the last question)
- The order of the Andalusia cities seems off to me, but with the split of the AVE track in Cordoba, not sure how else to make it work. Maybe do Seville -> Granada -> Malaga instead?
- If we are not spending much time in museums, is ~3 full days in Madrid (not including day trips) too much time?
- Any other recommendations or things that seem "off" with the above itinerary?
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice!