Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Thoughts

Please chime in on my tentative itinerary for Feb 2017.

First of all, know its not long enough but it is our max grandparent babysitting allowance for the little guy at home! LOL

We are good travelers and don't mind a full agenda. Looking forward to site seeing, minimal museums, lots of tapas, wine and sangria!

I have visited before (Toledo, ronda, Cordoba and Granada) This is husbands for spain visit. (we are both seasoned eueropean travelers)

Day 1- fly from US

Day 2- arrive Madrid 8 am
store bags at train station and self walking tour of Madrid highlights ( so what else should we focus on?
4:30 train (and nap time) to Puerto Santa Maria to stay with friends
Sleep- PSM

Day 3
tour PSM and area with friends living there
Sleep PSM

Day 4- TBD
afternoon train to Seville
sleep Seville

Day 5
Seville
sleep sevillle

Day 6
early non stop flight to Barcelona
sleep BCN

Day 7
Barcelona
Day 8 Barcelona

Day 9- flight home from BCN to US

I know its short but hopefully not too much travel and just enough spain??

Thank you,
Lena

Posted by
993 posts

i think it looks fine! A bit quick, but no kids and you have traveled before. I love Spain!!

Get Sagrada Familia tickets online and I would book 9am and show up by 8:30 to be in the front of the line. This will buy you about 20 min. in there with hardly anyone else. So worth it. Breathtaking.

Kim

Posted by
27117 posts

Rick has at least one walking tour of Madrid laid out in his "Spain" guidebook. I'd head for the Plaza Mayor and the relatively nearby San Miguel market for tapas. That area will probably keep you well occupied, but if it doesn't, Retiro Park (free) and the Botanical Garden (modest entry fee) are fairly near Atocha Station.

Allow plenty of time for retrieving your luggage at Atocha if you use a staffed storage room rather than a locker (I don't remember what the set-up is like at that station). Atocha Station is large and I find it rather confusing, so don't cut it too close. For some trains your luggage must go through an X-ray machine.

Posted by
5212 posts

Lena,

If it were me, I'd fly directly from Madrid to Sevilla or Jerez, then take the train to Puerto Santa María & thus arrive much earlier.

I'd also depart PSM in the morning, so you can add a few more hours to your already short stay in Sevilla.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1528 posts

I think you are spending too much time sleeping!
Seriously, I think, expand your time by staying up late and and enjoying late evening dinners, strolls and other activities Spainards enjoy "after dark". In other words, do not late your USA based tummy clock rule your lives while in Spain.

Posted by
2768 posts

Not bad at all

One note - I once tried to do the exact same thing of seeing the Madrid highlights on the day I arrived, then getting a late train (to Seville in my case). It was OK but I was waaaay too tired to enjoy most of it. Be prepared for that - pick a top priority and do that, then spend as much time in Retiro park or an outdoor cafe. I tried to cover several museums and the palace. Sleepwalked through most of it. Barely remembered most of it when I returned another trip, not tired. If Madrid is a priority, give it more time. If not (and I prefer your other places), just do what you can and don't expect too much of that half-day.

Posted by
993 posts

Definitely go the Mercado San Miguel on arrival... my son and I arrived Madrid from the west coast last spring around... 5pm? We managed to get out and hit the market, do a little walking tour around there, and rent electric bikes! All before crashing out! :) There was a little bike rental place right next to the Mercado.

A note: If you want to rent bikes (Feb? not sure, how is weather then?) - on our return to Madrid we rented non-electric bikes for Retiro park and lots of hills! So I would get electric if you can, you can zip around and not expend so much energy when you can barely stay awake!

Kim

Posted by
7175 posts

With such little time I would leave out Barcelona.

Day 2
Arrive Madrid 8 am
Book a connecting flight to Sevilla (2 nights)

Day 4
Train to Puerto Santa Maria (2 nights)

Day 6
Train to Jerez (1 night)

Day 7
Train to Madrid (2 nights)
Stop for a few hours in Córdoba en route to see the Mezquita.

Day 9
Fly home from Madrid

Alternatively, head to Madrid for 3 nights on Day 6, allowing for an excursion to Toledo.