We are planning on driving from Seville to Valencia with stops in Granada, Cartagena . Any other stops or sites of interest would be greatly appreciated. We are taking 5-6 days to travel and appreciate hotels and other recommendations.
At what time of the year will that be?
In any case:
- Granada is a 2-night stay
- Cartagena could be just a 1-night stay if you play it right.
So I guess you have about 3 nights to play with. My suggestions would be:
- Ronda is worth an overnight stay in itself. With 2 nights, you'd have a bit more time to visit surrounding villages (e.g. Grazalema, Setenil, Zahara de la Sierra)
- If it is a season when the coast can be enjoyable, the Cabo de Gata area has a beautiful coastline (Rodalquilar is a good base for that, in the Hotel de Naturaleza for example) and would make for a good 2-night stay. It is quite barren; look at photos and see if it inspires you.
- If you spend 2 nights in Cartagena, you have time for 1/2 a day in Elche with its wonderful palm tree grove. To avoid driving back & forth, you could also visit Elche as you pass by between Cartagena & Valencia, but you are then faced with the issue of parking a luggage-filled car there. It looks like there is an underground parking garage ("Gran Teatre"), which would be a safer option. I would not stay overnight in Elche.
A lot depends on your specific interests. Maybe if you told us more? For example, near Ronda there is a cave where you can see prehistoric cave art. There is just a lot in that area.
We are looking to experience local culture - not necessarily visiting all of the highlights. We are looking for a more relaxed itinerary.
Antequera, Castillo de Vélez-Blanco, El Palmerar, and Castle of Biar. If going closer to the coast, the Alcazaba de Almería, and Tabernas Desert. A little further from the coast are Úbeda and Baeza. There are many other places like the white villages, Ronda, Córdoba, Sentenil de las Bodegas, etc. Once you determine your route, research the towns along it since you may find find a sight to stop at. The cave bnelson210 was referring to is Cueva de la Pileta.