Please sign in to post.

itinerary help

Hello

We are travelling to visit the south of Spain.. We land in Madrid on Sept 29th.
I have had to shorten my trip bc my husband will need a knee replacement and we want it later than sooner and with my old itinerary, im afraid it was not going to do too well. WE are a family of four in our 50s and kids are teenagers.

I have shortened it to

Sept 30 to October 4th (4 nights) Madrid

Oct 4 to October 10th (6 nights) Seville (we will drive to Jerez and Cadiz bc we have tickets to the dancing horses which is our daughters passion) This one I cannot change bc we are staying in a place that I have been longing for a while and besides its my favorite city so far in all of Spain (best oxtail ive ever had)

Oct 10th to the 13th (3 nights) Cordoba or Malaga? If we do Malaga I would like to drive to Marbella however I have Cordoba in the back of my mind. ????

Oct 13th to the 17th (4 nights) Granada

Oct 17th we take the train to Madrid to depart on the 18th (we will stay near the airport)

WE are thinking of taking the train from Madrid to Seville to save time and then rent the car in Seville and drive to the destinations listed. We have driven before and if the routes are less than 2 hours its actually easier for us to drive than take the train bc of kids and luggage.

WE like old towns, great food, flamenco and other shows, have travelled enough to be ok with staying away from the bigger crowds. I like the old town charms and being able to mingle with the locals.

I also want to take the family to an Iberian farm. What city should I choose for a tour of one??

Thank you all so much!

Posted by
6509 posts

Yes, take the train to Seville and rent the car there when you need it (not right away). Drop it in Granada when you don't need it any more and take the train to Madrid.

Cordoba vs. Malaga is a choice you have to make based on your interests and preferences. I haven't been to Malaga. Cordoba was a highlight of my visit to Spain just before Covid. Its location is more central to your other destinations. But if it's just in the back of your mind, maybe that's where it should stay. I wouldn't try to see both Cordoba and Malaga on this trip, since you're trying (wisely) to limit your destinations.

Looks like a great trip at a great time of year.

Posted by
27122 posts

You can use viamichelin.com for driving routes and driving-time estimates. Remember that those estimates don't include stopping, getting lost, looking for parking or traffic delays. A car would not be faster between major cities. In some cases it would be much slower.

Posted by
1605 posts

We have been to both Cordoba and Malaga, and while we loved Malaga, I personally would choose Cordoba, which I think is a more important city than Malaga historically and culturally. The Mezquita is magnificent, a cathedral within a mosque. We also loved the gardens of the Alcazar, wandering around the Juderia, the Roman Bridge, and the Palacio de Viana with its lovely patios.

Malaga is very nice, too, with lots to do and see, and it's nice to experience the coastal ambience. Maybe you could look at photos of both places, read up on both places, and see what appeals to you the most and grabs your attention.

Posted by
6547 posts

I’m a fan of renting a car, but unless you planned on taking daily day trips from Sevilla it wouldn’t be worth it. In addition to the daily rental cost, there’s the 15€-20€ daily parking fee. Since you plan on being in Sevilla 6 nights, in this case I recommend taking the train to Sevilla.

Posted by
168 posts

Were going to do the following (I hope)

Sept 30th to Oct 4th Madrid 4 nights
Oct 4th to the 10th Seville 6 nights
Oct 10th to the 14th Cordoba (day visit to Jaen) 4 nights
Oct 14th to the 17th Granada 3 nights
Oct 17 to the 18th Madrid to go home 1 nights

Should we do 4 nights in Cordoba or 4 nights in Granada and switch them around?

Thank you all!

Posted by
5213 posts

Regarding your itinerary:

Were going to do the following (I hope)
Sept 30th to Oct 4th Madrid 4 nights
Oct 4th to the 10th Seville 6 nights
Oct 10th to the 14th Cordoba (day visit to Jaen) 4 nights
Oct 14th to the 17th Granada 3 nights
Oct 17 to the 18th Madrid to go home 1 nights

Is this trip taking place this month or September 2023?

I’d suggest staying 4 nights in Córdoba, especially since you’re planning a day trip while there.

I’m a bit confused by your question regarding Córdoba and Granada:

What do you mean by “switch them around?”
Do you mean switch the order of travel?

If your trip is taking place this month, I presume you’ve already booked your Alhambra tickets, and switching the order of travel may not be a possibility at this time.

If you’ve not booked your Alhambra Tickets, you must do so ASAP.

Also, since your daughter likes horses, you may consider going to the Equestrian Show at the Royal Stables in Córdoba.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!