Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help!

My boyfriend and I are planning at 10-14 day trip to Spain. I have read Rick Steve's 2015, the Lonely Planet guides etc. and am becoming more and more overwhelmed with all of the wonderful sites Spain has to offer. I know realistically there is NO way to do all of Spain in that short amount of time. I don't want to make each city a pit stop. We want to truly appreciate the culture of each region we stay.

Having said that, we were thinking of starting in Barcelona, and doing a couple of day trips to Montserrat or Tarragona. Then, visiting Seville and perhaps one other day trip from there. Finally, we were wanting to fly home from Lisbon, Portugal.

I was thinking something like this:

Day 1-4 Barcelona and side trip
Day 5-8 Seville
Day 9-10 Lisbon and home.

Our main interests are seeing some of the Moorish and Roman history, and soaking up culture local to each distinct region.

Please help me with any suggestions/ideas on where to go! Neither of us have ever been abroad before, so it's a little stressful!

Posted by
15576 posts

What are your travel dates? Summer is brutally hot in Seville.

Are you planning to fly from Barcelona to Seville? From Seville to Lisbon? I think you may be wasting precious days by going to Lisbon for only 2 days. You'll use the better part of a day to get there from Seville, and Lisbon is not the most attractive place in Portugal.

Posted by
7175 posts

I liked the '14' range of your 10-14 day trip more than the '10' you have ended up with.
And I too suggest that Lisbon for 2 days at the end is a lot of effort for a less than fulfilling reward of Portugal.
Just stick to Spain - I've split the difference and given you 12 nights ...
Fly into Barcelona (4 nts)
Fly to Granada (2 nts)
Train to Sevilla (3 nts)
Train to Madrid (3 nts) ... or if your heart is set on Portugal, change to Faro (1 nt) and Lisbon (2 nts)

Posted by
597 posts

I too would agree with djp_syd except that I would give Granada 3 nights and Sevilla 2 nights.

Posted by
2939 posts

Just a comment: spending two days in Barcelona -since you intend the use up the other two on escapades- it's far shorter than a pit stop. So you know.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for all of York feedback. We were thinking late mid April or early May.

I have my heart set on Seville more than anything to be honest. I really want to try and get a feel for the smaller cities, like Ronda or Tarragona.

Would it be better than to simply split our time between Seville and one other city, with day trips to smaller cities? Put fear is spending all of our time on trains/buses.

Yes, we were thinking of just flying from Barvelona to SV

Posted by
13 posts

Also good to know it's better to cut Lisbon and focus on Spain. Realizing as a first time traveler that just because you want to do it all, doesn't mean you can! (At least not in an enjoyable way) I feel like a kid at a candy store who wants to buy everything

Posted by
2939 posts

"I feel like a kid at a candy store who wants to buy everything"... then again, it all depends on your travel style, some people like to simply be able to say "I've been" while others like to "get to know". To be able just to scratch the surface you need more time in each city but since you don't have it, I personally would consider cutting it down to Barcelona and Seville only -and if you want, include a couple of escapades within their regions to discover other aspects of the culture. But again, that's me...

Posted by
13 posts

Enric, thank you that's very helpful. I have to say, the trip we want is to take the time to really get to know the city. My boyfriend and I are history fans, so getting to know the individual histories of each place we stay is important to us. Having said that, because this is our first trip, the hardest part of planning is guessing what we'll like once we're over there, anticipating what kind of travelers we are.f

What would you think of basing ourselves out of Ronda, Tarragona, or one of the less popular destinations (compared to Barcelona, at least) for a couple of days? For instance Day 1-5 Barcelona with a day trip to Montserrat, then 2 days in Tarragona before spending the rest in Seville?

Do you think that kind of timeline would allow for the balance between seeing the main sites, but getting to know more intimate parts?

Posted by
4 posts

Emily,

I can relate to the overwhelming feeling of wanting to see everything....once you start looking at the travel guides and researching all those beautiful locations. I went through the same thing :)
I am currently planning my itinerary for October (20 days) and it started with 7-8 different places I wanted to visit... and I have now "cut my list down" to Barcelona (side trip to Montserrat) and Seville, which were my initial interests, with some time in Nerja for rest in between and to be close for a side trip to Ronda. That settled the overwhelming feeling in my case :)

I also believe it is more beneficial to take the time to appreciate the culture and see what really appeals to you...than doing a marathon and being exhausted at the end, especially if that is a first trip. It is also necessary to keep in mind that even with a great planning, there are always unexpected things that happen (closed museum, no ticket availability, weather, taking the wrong bus/metro etc...) so better to have a little room for being able to change your plans if such thing arise and also play it by ear once you are there.
Personally, I make the best travels when I don't plan every moment of my days and allow myself to follow my heart once I am at my destination :)

Have fun!

Posted by
15576 posts

Feria in Seville in 2016 is April 12-17. Consider being there then, if you can start your trip a little earlier. You would need to book a hotel well in advance. You may also want to stay outside the city and rent a car to visit some of the surrounding towns.

Roman remains in Barcelona are pretty scarce and I saw no Morrish influence at all there. That said, I really enjoyed my stay there.

You could easily spend 2 weeks in Andalusia, especially with a car, but I'd recommend moving around more. Cordoba is less than an hour by train from Seville and well worth a visit, but any other towns are going to be over an hour by train or bus - and that doesn't take into account the time getting to/from the station to the old city centers. From Jerez you can day trip to Cadiz by train and Arcos by bus.

Posted by
13 posts

Wow! Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I think now we're going to do five days in Barcelona (with one day trip, probably to Montserrat or Tarragona) and then the rest of our two weeks with Seville as our base.

I think that will allow us to focus more on the South (where more of our interests lie) but still hopefully get a decent taste of what Barcelona has to offer.

is Nerja doable as a day trip from Seville, or does that require overnight?

Any suggestions on day trips or one night trips we could take from Seville would be helpful.

I know this trip we'll certainly learn a lot about ourselves and make lots mistakes, but hopefully we'll at least get our feet wet and experience :)

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. I wasn't even expecting to get so many replies!

Posted by
2768 posts

From Seville, you will want to consider going to Granada. It's a long day trip, I'd do it as an overnight, but it is one of my favorite places ever and the Alhambra is one of the top, if not THE top, sight in Spain. Look into it! Another possible day trip is Cordoba.

Nerja as a day trip from Seville? Not really worth it, IMO - and I like Nerja.

Posted by
2939 posts

@Emily, some food for thought...

If you're history fans, you might indeed want to spend a night in Tarragona. This city, formerly known in Latin as Tarraco was the capital of the Roman Hispania Tarraconensis province, which occupied most of today's Spain and half of Portugal: http://bit.ly/1NJKb7q As such, it competed with other big cities of the Roman Empire, including Rome itself, in terms of great monuments: circus, aquaduct, amphitheatre, walls...some of which have endured to these days.
http://www.tarragonaturisme.cat/en
http://www.tarragonaturisme.cat/en/routes/roman-route
VIDEO: http://infocatalonia.eu/w/IltXs
Tarragona is 90' by train south of Barcelona (50' on a high speed train)

Girona is another great place to visit for history. The city was one of the most important medieval quarters in the south of Europe, competing with Barcelona's. One of the last strongholds of Jews in Christian Europe during the Middle Ages.
http://www.girona.cat/turisme/eng/monuments.php
VIDEO: http://infocatalonia.eu/w/Q08lR
Girona is 75' by train north of Barcelona (35' on a high speed train)

Another treat for history lovers is Besalú, a medieval stronghold located north west of Barcelona, reachable by bus on a day escapade. This small town has home to the Counts of Besalú, some of the most powerful noble families in Catalonia. Actually, Wilfred the Hairy, credited with the unification of Catalonia, was Count of Besalú.
VIDEO: http://infocatalonia.eu/w/2MR8p

Barcelona has been an epicentre of western civilization in Southern Europe since Roman times, it became de facto capital of Catalonia in the 10th century, had one of the first parliamentary systems in Europe (only after the Icelandic and the British), was a maritime superpower in the Mediterranean until the 15th century and the first financial market in Europe with its public bank, Banc de Barcelona, created in 1401 -a year earlier than Venice's and six before Genoa's. The decline of the city commenced with the dynastic marriage of Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile when the Kingdom of Castile gradually eroded the power of the Crown of Aragon and, after several armed revolts, finally imposed its dominance in the War of Succession of 1701-1714, the first truly European world war which involved empires like England, Portugal, France, or Austria among other. The city revived with vengeance from the mid 19th century onward to become today's vibrant city.

Answering @Chanis comment, Barcelona has very little Moorish influence because it stood in the front line of Christian territory during the invasion of the Iberian peninsula by the Muslims 711 to 1492. Barcelona, while attacked and briefly conquered in several occasions by the Muslim troops, was swiftly recovered each time with strong counter-attacks that retracted the front line again further south, thus, there was no time for the Muslim influence to settle in the city or the territory around her. One trait that shows this is the fact that Catalan, language spoken in Catalonia, has very little Arabic influence other than a few words; Spanish however, influenced by 700 years of Muslim domination, adopted many of the sounds commonly found in the Arabic language ("j", "z", etc).

Enjoy!

Posted by
9363 posts

One easy day trip from Seville is Cordoba. It's only 90 minutes away. The Mezquita is stunning, as are the patios in the old town.

Posted by
13 posts

@enric thank you for the historical context! How long would you suggest we stay in Tarragona?

Also, if you had to choose between Tarragona, Montserrat and girona which two would you choose, and why?

I'm leaning toward Tarragona because it's a world heritage site and I would love to see what's preserved while it's still preserved.

Posted by
3592 posts

Barcelona is a fabulous city with a history and culture distinct from the rest of Spain. I don't think your original plan allots enough time to it, especially if you include side trips. In that vein, you should look at Empuries, on the Costa Brava for a day trip. It has both ancient Greek and ancient Roman archaeological sites, along with a museum showcasing some of the finds. I found Girona more interesting than Tarragona.
A base city or two in Andalucia would be a sensible addition to Barcelona, perhaps Seville and Granada? Cordoba could be a day trip from Seville. You can immerse yourselves in Moorish history in that region. As another poster commented, the Mezquita is awesome; so is the Alhambra.

Posted by
2939 posts

hahaha, it's getting more complicated the more answers you get, huh? :)))

It's really a very tough decision as all three are very worthwhile. Yet, my thoughts:
Montserrat: impressive views, unique landscape, nature, hiking trails, good for city detox
Girona: medieval, Jewish heritage, cozy old district, walkable, romantic
Tarragona: Roman, city of castellers (human towers)*, Mediterranean essence, World Heritage Site

Montserrat can easily be a day escapade, same with the other two, but overnight in Girona/Tarragona might provide a night view of these old cities quite different from a quick day escapade. Both are worthwhile and I like them both very much, yet if you were to push me I'd probably prefer the coziness and romanticism of the maze of streets and back-alleys in the Old City in Girona.

PS: Btw, re: montserrat, check a post of mine at Tripadvisor for more detail. Post #5 to be precise.

(*) Despite Tarragona is well known for their avocation of this old Catalan amateur sport, it's by no means the only one, as castellers contests are celebrated across Catalonia, including Girona and Barcelona!

Posted by
13 posts

Yes it is more complicated!

More time in Barcelona would be a good idea, but I really feel more drawn to the south. And I hope to return one day to do Basque Country, so perhaps stopping again in Barcelona would be possible then.

I will definitely look into Girona @enric!
Perhaps I can make Tarragona a day trip instead.

It's so great hearing experiences of people who have actually been there and not just reading books!

Posted by
7175 posts

When you have a base camp, and make a day excursion, remember the return journey in the evening is wasted time. Instead of retracing the same path you made that morning, you could be pushing on to somewhere new.

How about ... ??
Fly into Barcelona (4 or 5 nts)
Fly to Granada (2 nts)
Train to Ronda (1 nt)
Train to Sevilla (4 or 5 nts)

Posted by
7175 posts

I am so excited for you, I am sure you will have a fantastic time. In the meantime, all the best with your planning, and keep asking questions. Oh, and April/May is a good time to be going.

Posted by
15576 posts

Here are a couple of ideas for Andalusia. First of all, the distances make for long day trips so it's better to split your time between 2 or even 3 places.

Jerez - the capital of flamenco and sherry. You can tour bodegas (that's wineries in Spain), see flamenco, a horse show at the Royal Equestrian School (if it's the right day of the week), and day trip by train to Cadiz and/or by bus to Arcos.

If you rent a car, drive from Jerez or Seville and spend a couple of nights in Ronda, one day to see the town and one day to explore the other pueblos blancos in the surrounding hills.

Definitely allot enough time in Seville for a day trip to Cordoba to see the Mezquita. The Alcazar in Seville is beautiful, allow at least 2 hours. On the other hand, skip the one in Cordoba - much less interesting.

Posted by
13 posts

@enric, where do I find tickets for high speed rail from Barcelona to Girona? AVE website doesn't have it listed, but guidebooks and Girona's site says it's a stop on that line?

Posted by
2939 posts

@emilysmithanciaux....

yes it does :))...

• The official RENFE website is
    http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

• Don't cut&paste the names, you need to start typing "Barcel" in the destination and choose "Barcelona (*)" and then "Gir" and the destination "Girona" will show up.

For info, RENFE is the train company operating the AVE trains. Also, note that technically the high speed service between Barcelona and Girona is served by two type of high speed trains, AVE and AVANT. To you both are the same. Ignore the other types (Regional and MD) as they are slow trains. Also note that you can only buy tix a number of weeks in advance. I believe (not sure!) is 12 weeks.

Lastly: you don't really need to purchase tickets in advance for this line. It rarely fills up. Ok, the 6-7am trains might be full sometimes as it's the same line that serves Paris, but there are many high speed trains through the day, one every hour. When I go to Girona I never pre-book, simply get to the station and buy the tix.

Enjoy!