Please sign in to post.

Is Driving thru the White Hill Towns in Mid April 2025 a Good Idea?

We are a party of 4 who will be doing a 1 week guided tour of Seville,Granada, and Cordoba in early April 2025.

And after that tour ends, we've been considering self-driving the White Hill towns for 4-6 days , starting in Arcos de la Frontera, heading east to the El Bosque and the Parque Naturalde Sierra de Grazalema, Olivera, and Ronda.

We have some concerns that mid April might be shoulder season, with many businesses closed, and the weather being more unpredictable.

Any insights regarding this area would be appreciated.

Posted by
3052 posts

Arcos, Ronda... both have over 30,000 permanent residents... just saying :))

Posted by
3413 posts

I was in Spain in February one year…it was a bit chilly, but everything was open.
I remember the orange blossom being out in Frigiliana, and sitting having paella in a cafe on the beach near Nerja.

Posted by
7269 posts

Mid-April 2025 will be the highest of high season in Spain, as it coincides with Semana Santa (Holy Week), concluding with Easter on 20 April. You will need to secure accommodation early. To give you an idea, hotels in Spain catering to domestic tourists often have low season, high season and "Semana Santa" rates.

The weather should be perfect.

Posted by
5498 posts

The weather should be perfect.

I disagree. I've spent a number of Easter weeks in this area over the years and April can be quite rainy. I've been unfortunate enough to experience almost an entire week of rain one Easter a few years ago.

Posted by
7057 posts

Weather could be a wild card and could affect what you’re able to do regarding outdoors activities. I’m not sure what activities you intend to engage in to occupy 4-6 days because most of those villages don’t take long to visit.

Posted by
10 posts

I've been to Rhonda in December. All went very well. Most of everything was open. April should be fine.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks to All

Very helpful posts, will put them to good use.

**Can anyone offer lodging recommendations for the White Hill towns?**

We will begin in Ronda and drive over 3-4 days, & on last day to Cadiz.

Will visit Parque Natural de las Grazalema & Caminito del Reyen route.

Would prefer to stay at least 2 consecutive nites in a centrally located town.

Posted by
7057 posts

My wife and I like staying at Paradors and there are Paradors in Cádiz, Arcos de la Frontera, and Ronda. The last time we were in Ronda we stayed at what is now Hotel Soho Boutique Palacio San Gabriel.

The drive between westernmost Arcos de la Frontera and easternmost Ronda takes less than 1.5 hours so you can get by with one base. Ronda is closer to most of the places you mentioned. Everything should be open in mid-April.

Posted by
362 posts

Can’t speak to conditions in April as we were there last September, but 4-6 days in the white villages seems excessive. As @jaimeelsabio indicates, it is a very short drive from Ronda to Arcos de la Frontera. Olivera was our favorite stop but, still, does not require much time. Unlike others, we did not enjoy Ronda — too touristy, crowded, unfriendly. However, the nearby, small white town of Arriate is authentic and charming. And, walking the nearby El Caminito del Rey was a highlight of our Andalucia trip.

Depending on where your tour ends and where your departure location is, you could do something like: Cordoba to Malaga; Malaga to Ronda area; Ronda through white villages to Arcos de la Frontera; Arcos de la Frontera to Cadiz; Cadiz to Seville (departure city?)…or the reverse…or add/delete. Malaga is a lovely city with a relaxed vibe. A few days there, do the El Caminito del Rey and a couple of white villages, might be a good option