Please sign in to post.

International Driving Permit

Hi
I will be driving for three weeks in a rental car in Spain in late September early October. Do I need to have an international drivers license to rent a car or to drive in Spain? I am far away from a AAA office, so if I don’t have to, it would be great.

Posted by
1 posts

This is from Rick Steve’s’ update on his Best of Italy Guidebook, but likely it’s the same for Spain. You can mail the application to AAA.

It seems that car-rental agencies in Italy are now more frequently requiring renters to show an International Driving Permit. To avoid hassle in Italy, it's best to get one before your trip (see our tips at Rental-Car Red Tape in Europe).

Posted by
1430 posts

As in Italy, a new Spanish law this year requires that foreign visitors ( including Americans) have an International Driving Permit ( IDP) to be able to drive on public roads and highways. Car rental agencies will require you produce one so they can copy it before you receive the car key. In the event a police officer pulls you over in a vehicle, you will also be required to produce your IDP.

Posted by
6547 posts

An IDP is required and has been for years. Go to the AAA website to check on mailing in the form if that’s an option and how long it will take to get it back. You will need to provide 2 passport photos. If you drive to an office with a pre filled in form, it takes about 20 minutes and the photos can be taken at the AAA office.

I will say that in all my trips anywhere, I’ve never had to show it to anybody, but I always have one.

Posted by
1528 posts

Endure the process, follow the law and get the IDP. I have only had to show it once at a traffic stop in Malaga and was sent on my way. FYI traffic fines can be demanded to be paid in cash at the point of the offense.

Posted by
7312 posts

Are you sure? I admit I live on the East Coast, but there must be 15 AAA offices within 25 miles of my home. BTW, I have friends from Montana who are, almost, proud that they "drive an hour for Chinese food."

Posted by
2267 posts

Tim, I live less than 100 miles from you, but my closest AAA is an hours drive. (I’d pass a few Chinese places on the way, at least…)

Posted by
115 posts

My husband just went to a AAA office and they gave it to him on the spot.

Posted by
313 posts

If the police don't pull you over you may not need it, but you may..... Or maybe not...

Posted by
7034 posts

I've always gotten one and glad I did when I was involved in a minor accident (not my fault) in rural France a few years ago. I was required to show it along with my US license and the rental car and insurance paperwork. I was never asked for it to rent the car but the rental agencies don't care - it's up to you to abide by the traffic laws and requirements of the country you're in. It's interesting to see the some car rental agencies in the countries that require it are beginning to require it also.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.