Please sign in to post.

Initial Plan for three weeks in October 2024

I am looking for feedback on this very initial plan for three weeks in Spain. I’ve been to Spain four times. The last trip was twenty years ago when we were in our 30s.

Prior trips included a significant amount of time traveling around Madrid area ( Toledo, Avila etc). We’ve been to Barcelona twice both times spending 4 plus days. Twenty years ago we spent time in the south (Seville, Granada, Ronda, Arcos de La Frontera). With this context I would love this forum’s thoughts about this proposed itinerary.

Fly from San Francisco to Seville. Land and take the train to Cadiz.

Question: does AVE operate regularly from Seville to Cadiz?

Spend 3-4 nights in Cadiz. We prefer to travel via trains and if needed busses .we’re interested in Cadiz for its history and to visit a part of Spain that we haven’t been to in the past. Spending some time in a coastal area of Spain is of interest as well. Thoughts on Cadiz, length of time there etc. are welcomed.

Question: what day trips do you recommend from Cadiz that are easily accessible via public transport (less than two hour journey each way). We enjoy visiting small towns, places with well preserved Roman and Moorish history/ architecture/ artifacts and places to enjoy regional cuisine. We love the beach but since we’re from California we don’t tend to want to spend too much time on beaches when we travel abroad.

From Cadiz head northwards to Seville. Spend 4-5 nights. We were there 20 years ago but would like to return since we’re older and likely will enjoy Seville with a different perspective and more discretionary income! Day trip to Cordoba.

Question: thoughts about adding a couple of nights in cordoba? We’re trying to avoid too many transfers but would be open to staying over a couple of nights if that’s recommended.

From Seville go to Madrid via AVE. Spend last 2-3 days in Madrid before heading back to US.

This plan includes some buffer time to extend days in the destinations identified and account for travel days. I look forward to feedback, critique and suggestions for improving on this initial plan!

Posted by
27122 posts

Cordoba is definitely worth a couple of nights.

From Cadiz you have day-trip options to Jerez (known for sherry houses and horse shows), the white town of Arcos de la Frontera (which is even closer to Jerez), and another, less-touristy white town, Vejer de la Frotera, that's at the outer limit of acceptable day-trip distance. El Puerto de Santa Maria might also be interesting.