Please sign in to post.

Information for running with the bulls in July 2019

My husband and I are flying into Madrid, then to Barcelona for a couple of days and then heading toward Pamplona where we will meet our son who will be running with the bulls. Where is a good place to stay in that area that is accessible by train and can get us back to Madrid at the end? Pamplona seems to be extremely high, so we're avoiding that area. What about Saint Jean de Luz? Thanks.

Posted by
5257 posts

I make no apology about posting similar comments like this on every post concerning bull fighting and bull running.

If you are intending to attend either a bull run or bull fight I'd strongly urge you to read the following webpage and then make a decision based on the full facts:

www.peta2.com/news/running-of-the-bulls-cruel/

Posted by
6522 posts

Not only are the prices high, but hotels are often booked a year in advance. My guess is any place within about 30 miles will have steep prices. Before going into France, maybe check Olite or Logrono or some place that may have public bus or train service into Pamplona. The running of the bulls has become almost too popular.

Posted by
531 posts

Keep in mind that the running is at 8 am. I do not know if they have a special bus from Logroño for the running of the bulls but it is an 1h 10min bus ride and the first one usually gets there at 8. From Olite it is probably 25min. If you have a car, travel time is less but you would lose it all parking far away and walking. And you can't be a little late as the whole thing lasts about five minutes.
It's not the same but it is broadcast live on Spanish tv.

Posted by
5 posts

We've researched prices and arrivals and it might not happen, at least not for the run. I'm just not thinking we can make it by 8 a.m. However, I do want to explore the Hemingway places there. As a travel writer and photographer, I think we can find more than bulls.

Posted by
3897 posts

San Fermín, known outside of the Spain as "The Running of the Bulls" encompasses much more that just the Encierro (the actual running). The week long festival has pyrotechnics/fireworks displays, processions, music/dancing, partying, Giants parades, Jai alai tournaments, and daily afternoon bull fights.

Take a look at their 2019 English language programme:
http://www.sanfermin.com/en/sanfermin-programme/2019-programme/

Posted by
2 posts

The challenge with enjoying the running of the bulls is the fact that you have to be checked in for a view from a balcony spot by 6:30am. So staying anywhere else makes it almost impossible to get there in time. I know some people who stay in Pamplona, and still don't make it, because they didn't realize the taxi service would be completely overwhelmed and can't even answer the phone past 5:30am, much less, send a taxi.

There are two things you can do to get the cost down:

1. Come to town after July 8th, when prices drop 40-50%. The bulls still run every day through July 14th, so there's still plenty of fiesta to see.

2. Stay at a book at a running of the bulls hotel like these, which include transportation to the event. If you stay outside the city center, you can save money, but it is essential to have guaranteed transport at 6am to the event, otherwise, you won't make it.

Hope that helps!