Please sign in to post.

info on basque spain

my husband won a trip to basque, spain and we don't know anything about it could you send some important information and suggestions which will make our trip inviting we are also interested going from basque to lourdes france any information on train travel would be appreciated thanks

Posted by
16893 posts

Here's a place to get a quick overview: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/spain/basque-country. Rick's chapter on that region is excerpted as the Snapshot: Basque Country guidebook.

How to Look Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it. The cheapest French train tickets go on sale about 3 months in advance for reserved dates and times, through SNCF or agents like Rail Europe and Captain Train.

The value that you get out of a pilgrimage site like Lourdes depends largely on the faith you bring to it. Otherwise, it's not the most charming destination.

Posted by
27122 posts

Bilbao and San Sebastian are both attractive destinations. I enjoyed a day-trip to Hondarribia from San Sebastian. It has two areas of interest, the fishermen's quarter and the medieval district. Travel time is no more than an hour by bus.

Much of the Basque countryside is very pretty, so that's another reason to take some side-trips. I went to several small coastal towns, and the bus or train rides were picturesque. I can recommend Bermeo, Zarautz, Getaria and Zumaia. The first is nearer Bilbao; the last three are best visited from San Sebastian.

Vitoria-Gasteiz, the capital of the inland portion of the Basque Country, has a charming medieval area, and Laguardia is a spectacular hill town in a wine district. The latter is a bit time-consuming to reach, though--at least an hour beyond Vitoria-Gasteiz, a stop on the bus route to Logrono.

Whst time of year are you going?

Posted by
2 posts

we will probably go in october where the weather is still very pleasant

Posted by
7175 posts

Best train connection to Lourdes ...
ALV 4087
Dep 13:26 SAN SEBASTIAN/DONOSTIA (Spain)
Arr 13:55 HENDAYE (France)
TGV 8544
Dep 14:45 HENDAYE (France)
Arr 15:20 BAYONNE (France)
IC 14148
Dep 16:03 BAYONNE (France)
Arr 17:39 LOURDES (France)

Posted by
513 posts

rats 25 -

I was in the Basque area of Spain last year and the weather was wonderful - 70's F during the day and a bit cooler in the evenings. I spent three days in San Sebastian and found that to be enough at that time of year when it was too cool for swimming (although the surfers were still out there in their wetsuits.) I was in Bilbao for two days and could easily have spent a couple more in that city. I devoted a goodly portion of one day to the Guggenheim and the other to just exploring Bilbao. I loved the old town - Plaza Nueva, the Cathedral, wandering in and out of the small shops, etc... If I had more time in the area I would have taken a daytrip to Guernica also..

Posted by
11159 posts

I highly recommend that you read "The Basque History of tne World" by Mark Kurlansky for excellent
insights into these people amd their culture. It is very readable and helped us enjoy our visit to Spain's Pais Vasco and France's Pays Basque.

Posted by
2252 posts

We spent a week based in San Sebastian several years ago when the RS tour was the 7 day Basque tour. San Sebastian is amazing and we enjoyed every minute we were there. The setting itself is beautiful and there is a lot to do right there. We went towards the end of October. It was cool and we had some rain but mostly pleasant days. Day trip to Bilbao and the museum and as others have said, it's a wonderful city, too, with a lot to keep you busy. I wouldn't miss Guernica; it was quite a moving experience for me. In 1937, the town was completely devastated by the carpet bombing of the German and Italian air forces. Guernica also has its own Basque museum, the Euskal Hernia Museum, as well as the Peace Museum. This was an amazing experience; interactive and you feel as if you are right there on that 1937 market day-a don't miss. Truly makes Picasso's evocative painting come alive. You will love your trip. We certainly loved ours! I hope this helps with at least part of your question.