Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Barcelona?

We are looking to stay in Barcelona mid April. Can you recommend an inexpensive hotel that is clean. We are in our 70's and don't do too much walking for sightseeing. Most likely a planned tour.

Posted by
27142 posts

Barcelona is a very popular destination, and April will be here soon. You might do best to check a website like booking.com for your specific dates. You can set price filters and others you consider pertinent. It won't help you if we suggest places we have stayed in, if they are already booked up for your dates.

Look at the photos (many rooms are very small) and read the reviews. Cleanliness is not generally an issue, but some Americans are put off by the tiny rooms (and tiny showers) encountered in many budget hotels.

I found staying near Placa Catalunya very convenient.

Posted by
1039 posts

Consider the Hotel Continental Barcelona. It has balconies right on the Ramblas, a block from Placa Catalunya, and free ice cream!

Posted by
16320 posts

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Jazz a few years back. It is two blocks off Plaça Catalunya, with nice modern rooms and friendly staff. And a rooftop pool! We booked without breakfast as my husband prefers to seek our good coffee at local cafes.

I checked prices and they are offering 30% off bookings made on their website, with prices as low as €135 in April on some nights. ( that may be a non-refundable rate; I did not check). Other nights are much higher, particularly on weekends. But if your dates fit the lower-priced nights it is a good value.

Maybe this link will come through:

https://reservations.hoteljazz.com/6873?identifier=JAZZBETHERE&languageid=1&_ga=2.184910313.1142176674.1519920336-1021463105.1516909580#/datesofstay

Posted by
3247 posts

I don't know what you consider inexpensive, but we booked the U232 Hotel because the Hotel Jazz was over our budget. We liked the location in the Eixample, and the good-sized room.

We stayed there in October 2017 and agree with the positive reviews on TripAdvisor.

http://www.u232hotel.com/en/

Posted by
2707 posts

This was our hotel on the RS Spain tour a few years ago: Catalonia Portal de l'Angel Hotel. We really enjoyed it. Walking distance to Las Ramblas but far enough away to avoid the mobs. Has a pool. Best breakfast of our entire trip.

Posted by
2 posts

I thank everyone for your recommendations. We opted to stay at Hotel Arrey-Alella just farther out . The reviews were 4.5 stars and less expensive. We can take a bus or taxi. Ty again for your input.

Posted by
1878 posts

Hotel Lloret at the top of the Ramblas is great, I have stayed there twice. Last time I stayed there was 2010, but i still think it gets good ratings on booking.com. Inexpensive is difficult in Barcelona.

Posted by
2707 posts

Well, you’re pretty far from everything and traffic in Barcelona can be a problem. So, you’ll probably eat up whatever you saved in taxi fares. Or, you’ll spend a lot of time on buses. Look at the map, see where you are staying what you want to visit and give this some more thought.

Posted by
2942 posts

@tcbtcg... staying nearby Barcelona is indeed an option that can be a tad cheaper. If anything, it's best to choose a hotel near the train station, then it's a breeze to get into Barcelona. In your case your hotel is "up the mountain" at the top of Alella. I don't doubt it might have great views (maybe), but it's a bit of a pain to get to Barcelona "quickly". You can take a local town bus which will take you to the station, then the train to Plaça Catalunya. In all, I'd say an average of 90' or so -can be less if you don't have to wait for the bus and you are lucky to catch the train immediately upon arriving at the station. Also, note that while the train back will function until midnight or so, the local bus won't so if you decide to return too late you'll have to rely on taxis or walk.

Posted by
27142 posts

There is so much to do in Barcelona that I would not want to stay far out of the center; every hour there is precious. Also keep in mind that meal times run quite late, with dinner typically not beginning until 10 PM. Heading back to your hotel after part of the public transportation is no longer running is a very real issue.

I stayed in budget-level hotels (wherever I could find one) throughout Spain, and cleanliness was never a problem. Rooms in the high-cost areas tended to be small, and the furnishings were not grand, but I chose those limitations to avoid high prices and inconvenient locations.