Please sign in to post.

Holy Week in Barcelona

I will be traveling to Barcelona from the US on April 11, staying for 8 days. Since we booked I've done some research around Holy Week in Spain and learned that Good Friday, Easter and Easter Monday are all public holidays. Can anyone offer insight into what this really looks like in practice?

I do understand that museums will be closed on those days, along with probably some restaurants and other attractions, but my assumption was that, just like being in any other major city on a holiday, there will still be things to do and restaurants and bars that are open.

Our current thinking is we will plan the major sights we want to see (La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, Picasso Museum, etc.) around those holidays, and on those three days we will watch the Good Friday procession, maybe attend mass, do a walking tour, and generally just keep it low key - pop into shops if they're open, just enjoy the architecture and tapas and wine. Is this a realistic plan or will the city be more dormant than I'm expecting?

Posted by
3874 posts

I think you will be fine in Barcelona, most things in the touristy areas should still be up and running. Barcelona is one of the notable exceptions to the Semana Santa festivities in Spain, to be honest it doesn't shut down much at all.

If you are looking to enjoy Semana Santa processions, I'd actually look outside of Barcelona, like nearby Tarragona or Girona, which both have spectacular processions. I'd make a daytrip out of it, just to see those processions.