Please sign in to post.

Hiking in Andalucia

Hello guys. We will go to South Spain (Andalucia) in Spring 2023 planning to hike around. We know that Sierra de Aracena or Sierra Nevada are very nice destinations. Does anyone have a recommendation about these places? Do you know any trekking route there?
Thank you in advance!

Alpujarra looks amazing. We have seen it is possible to reach Mulhacen peak from there. Awesome!

Posted by
351 posts

Caminito del Rey is a enjoyable place to hike (more of a stroll than a hike). Park at the bottom and bus to the top that way you can just get into your car and drive off. J

Posted by
26840 posts

Some of those photos are disturbing. I thought they had fairly recently rebuilt the walkway to make it safer.

Posted by
625 posts

Carlos, el Caminito del Rey has been re-aconditioned and modernized, now it´s an easy path on the cliffs and not dangerous at all.

Posted by
3874 posts

I'm still not sure if I'd characterize it as some kind of leisurely stroll, it's not like you are taking a lap around the plaza mayor.

Posted by
20 posts

The GR 48 and the Ruta TransAndalus will take you through the Sierra de Aracena. The GR 7 and the TransAndalus will take you through the Sierra Nevada. The TransAndalus is a cycle route, but it also works for walkers. The app Wikiloc has thousands of GPX tracks for walking in any area in Spain. Our journals of trips through the Sierra de Aracena and the Sierra Nevada also contain links to the tracks in those areas.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
351 posts

The Caminiti del Rey was closed for a fews year and completely repaired, it reopened in about 2018. I walked it September of 2021. Nothing is dangerous anymore. I'm 64 and concider it a stroll as most of it flat and on wooded decking with hand rails where needed, there are stairs where the elevation changed. Walking from the top to the bottom puts the stairs down rather than up.Give it a try next time your in Spain.J

Posted by
3874 posts

Thank you for the description, perhaps I'm not understanding the English word of "strolling", a friend of mine hiked el Caminito del Rey some years back, I guess it was before the recent renovations, and he said it was super difficult. Glad it's more accessible now.

Posted by
6386 posts

Unfortunately, like so many things and places, Caminito Del Rey has become so popular that one needs to reserve a time to walk it many times of the year. It’s not the place to go if you wanted to be alone and get away from people. A place we went earlier in the year was Camino Natural del Rio Guadalaviar near Teruel. No reservations and we only saw a couple other people during the 6-mile round trip walk.

Posted by
1 posts

Bumping this up to ask--for a day hike by ppl who do not speak Spanish, would you recommend any guides or tour companies?