Please sign in to post.

Help with Spain itinerary!!

My wife and I are planning a November trip to Spain. We plan to fly in and out of Madrid as we are using flyer miles and other options are limited. We will arrive in Madrid early afternoon. We enjoy art museums, exploring big cities, learning history from visiting locations, would like to go on a visit to local wineries, and hiking at national parks. I have two ideas, but would love suggestions:
Option 1:
Travel straight to Toledo. Not much of a first day, just check in, get over jet lag, and explore. 2 nights
Drive to Granada. Spend 1 night
Drive to one of the hill towns. One day of hiking at National Park. 1 night
Drive to Seville. Spend 3 nights
Take train to Madrid. Spend last 3 nights.

Option 2:
Take train to Seville after arrival from US. Spend 3 nights
Pick up car and drive to hill town. 1 night
Drive to Granada. Spend 2 nights.
Drive to Toledo. Ditch car and spend 1 night.
Train to Madrid. Spend last three nights

I am not crazy about getting off a plane and taking a train to Seville right away. This would put us in Seville around 6 pm if all the connections were perfect. I would hesitate getting train tickets prior to arrival. But option 2 would give 2 nights in Granada and 1 in Toledo.
Please give me your suggestions.

Posted by
27142 posts

I like Itinerary #1 for its two nights in Toledo so that your jetlag day is in a small, atmospheric place. However, I'm doubtful that your two days/two nights will be adequate for:

• driving from Toledo to Granada
  • seeing the Alhambra and other sights in Granada
  • driving on to one of the hill towns
  • hiking in the national park

I could be wrong; I haven't been to Andalucía recently and have never driven in Europe, much less in that area. Perhaps it will all be quicker than I anticipate. Or maybe you're allowing for the possibility that the hike might occur on the morning of the day you move on to Seville.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would suggest a night in Cordoba as your first stop.

Day 1. Arrive Madrid. Train to Cordoba (1N)
Day 2. Mezquita. Train to Sevilla (2N)
Day 3. Real Alcazar, Cathedral
Day 4. Pick up car. Drive to Ronda (1N)
Day 5. Drive to Granada (2N). Return car.
Day 6. Alhambra, Albaicin
Day 7. Train to Madrid (4N)
Day 8. Royal Palace, Prado
Day 9. Day trip to Toledo
Day 10. More Madrid or Segovia
Day 11. Depart Madrid

Posted by
4535 posts

Except for the hiking excursion, there is little need for a car on this itinerary and it would both slow you down and be an expensive hassle. All the cities and town you are visiting are easily accessible by train and/or bus. And I'm not really sure you have enough time to do a hike.

It's a long drive to/from Madrid and Andalucia with not a lot to see in between (plus you don't give yourself enough time to stop along the way). A car is best for exploring smaller towns and rural regions, not city-to-city visits.

You need 2 nights in Granada so that you can see La Alhambra during the day between (and some of the city that day).

Cordoba is worth a night to see the Mezquita and explore the town. It could be your first night's stay, but you have the same issues as if you were going to Sevilla. Toledo would make a better first night.

Posted by
243 posts

Thanks for the ideas. The planning is still in its early stages. We always like to have a physical component of hiking, cycling, etc to have some variety from the other activities. Perhaps, spending the first night in Toledo, before a late afternoon train to Granada where we stay 2 nights is the way to go.

Posted by
328 posts

Since you are flying in and out of Madrid, and only have 10 nights on the ground, I would suggest cutting Granada from your itinerary. That's not easy for me to say because Granada is easily my favorite city of those you mention. To me it just makes more sense to do a maximum of 3 cities for a 10 night trip. I would include Sevilla, Madrid and either Toledo or Cordoba. If it was me I would head directly to either Toledo or Cordoba then on to Sevilla and finish in Madrid before flying home.