Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

I was wondering if I could get some help.
I was in Barcelona in April and stayed there three days before moving off to Portugal.
I am flying into Barcelona again (seems to be the cheapest and most direct flight)...I get in about 12:30 pm
I am trying to figure out where to go in Spain...I have so many places to go that I see from comments in other topics that too many places can be way too much...but how to cut stuff out...so here goes...
Barcelona - since I have already been there...I would spend the least amount of time...though I have a great desire to go to Figueres to see Dali and I never did make it to Montserrat..
Madrid with side trips to Salamanca and Toledo
Seville with side trip to Cordoba
Granada
I was thinking of doing two nights in Tarifa and seeing Ronda as well...
Am I chewing off more that I should...
I am open to suggestions...thanks for any input much appreciated

Posted by
31 posts

that would have been really helpful...15 days...arrive the 5th of oct and leave the 21st....

Posted by
18 posts

Much depends on how many days you have but you could basically follow Ricks Spain My Way itinerary. You would take the train from Barcelona to Madrid etc. see Granada, Ronda and Sevilla. It ends in Sevilla and you could fly back to Barcelona a Few days before your flight home and possibly see those 2 sights that you missed last time. A day trip from Sevilla to Córdoba is definitely worth it and easy by train.

Posted by
6788 posts

Yes, you are chewing off more that I should. I see two problems...

1) 15 days. 5 to 10 locations (more like 10) depending on how you count (start by being honest about that). You do not have enough time to do all of this,

2) You are flying in to Barcelona. Where you flying out of...Barcelona, too? If so, you waste at least one of your days (which you don't have enough of to begin with) by circling back to Barcelona to fly out of there. That will cost you money, and worst of all, time.

Reconsider your flights. Cut down your itinerary.

Posted by
7175 posts

Departure from Madrid would be preferable over Barcelona.

October
5. ARRIVE Barcelona (4N)
6. Barcelona
7. Day to Figueres
8. Day to Montserrat
9. Fly to Granada (2N)
10. Visit the Alhambra
11. Train to Ronda (1N)
12. Train to Seville (4N)
13. Seville
14. Day to Cordoba for the Mezquita
15. Seville
16. Train to Madrid (4N)
17. Madrid
18. Day to Toledo
19. Day to Salamanca
20. Train to Barcelona (1N)
21. DEPART Barcelona

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks for all of your responses
The itinerary that was just posted seems a bit overwhelming...I think I just want to see too much and I need more time...alas I only have 15 days..... I booked Barcelona as it was direct and cheap (I know you get what you pay for)....
I am now thinking of going from Barcelona to Seville (fly) and return via Granada (Fly) and leaving out Madrid this time around. I was wondering if I should keep Madrid for when I do the northern part of the country such as Bilbao and San Sebastian....The only reason I am going to Madrid is for the art galleries and the closeness of Toledo and Salamanca.

Decisions Decisions....

Posted by
5706 posts

If I'm short on days, I always concentrate my days on the locations further away, my assumption being that I'll want to return to the country and will be able to spend more time at the "airport city" on another trip. This time, I'm going to Spain and from where I live I need to use Barcelona or Madrid airports or I will spend a fortune. So I'm flying into Madrid and taking a train immediately to Sevilla. I plan to do as much as possible on my "Andalusia wish list". So I'm spending 3 nights in Sevilla, 2 in pueblos blancos, 3 in Granda, 2 in Cordoba and then back in central Spain, 1 in Toledo and 2 in Madrid. On one of the Madrid days, I'm going to Segovia. I will be back to Madrid on future trips and will be able to spend more time in Madrid at that time. Someone may pipe in and say that's too much moving around. Perhaps. We all have our preferences. Some prefer less hotel switches, while I prefer less transportation back tracking, withing reason.

My recollection is that Salamanca is a fair distance from Madrid.

Montserrat is wonderful. Of course, the monastery is a must do, but we also took a funicular up to the mountain top and did some hiking. Wonderful!

Posted by
27217 posts

The shortest rail trip from Madrid to Sslamanca is a bit over 2 hours, so that's not an ideal day-trip, but it's doable if you accept that you nay not have time to see the entire (large) historic district.

Posted by
31 posts

Its hard to know whether to scratch the surface or go to two or three places and immerse yourself in whatever you want. I typically like to come and go when I want...but when you have to book train travel and accommodation ahead of time it's hard to do your own thing. Part of me wants the overview and then to come back at a later date and get into the places I want to see more of. What a great dilemma to have...

In response to Salamanca...I would at least stay overnight there and as well overnight in Toledo.