Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Hi! First time going to Spain June 2020. We arrive in Madrid June 1st in the morning. We will be in Barcelona from June 5-10th and fly home from there. We are thinking of staying near Madrid from June 1-5th, but it seems like maybe we could take a side trip during that time? We are planning on flying from Mad-BCN on the 5th. Any ideas on itinerary for each city and if we have time to do a side trip (like Toledo) while we are in Madrid?

Travelling as a couple for our 15th anniversary. We are not night owls. We like history, beautiful nature, walking/hiking, hole-in-wall type food places, and meeting other people.

Thanks!

Posted by
6880 posts

Hi,
A few tips:
- Madrid to Barcelona is far better by train. Only 2.5 hours, city center to city center. Reservations open sixty days in advance, sometimes less.
- You could stay the nights of 1-2-3 June in Madrid, and 4 June in Toledo (an overnight visit is very enjoyable), then take the train from Toledo to Barcelona with an easy change of trains in Madrid
- With 5 full days in Barcelona you have time for a day trip. Personally I like Gerona, easily accessed by high-speed train, but since you like walking and nature you might consider Montserrat, too.

Posted by
47 posts

Thank you! Yes, we heard train is a nice way to travel between Madrid and Barcelona. However, it looks pricey and we have Airline rewards points we can use to pay for our flights.
I like the idea of a night in Toledo, Rick Steve's recommended that, as well.

Girona looks amazing, as well. We might add that. Montserrat is definitely on our to-do list in Barcelona.

Posted by
882 posts

"We heard train is a nice way to travel between Madrid and Barcelona. However, it looks pricey."
True, is is not inexpensive. However, it is very convenient - especially if your Madrid lodgings are near the Atocha station (the point of departure for Spain's AVE high speed trains). The Sants station in Barcelona is conveniently located quite near Plaça de Catalunya, which may well be near your hotel, there.
Yesterday, I booked tix on this very route (mid October on a Saturday) for $63 each. The ease of this travel option (city center to city center) may be preferable to flying.....even if the cost of flights is lower - although it is a 3 hour train ride.

Posted by
4573 posts

Sometimes saving a few dollars is at the expense of convenience and practicality - but everyone has their own priorities.
Madrid has numerous options for day trips. It is harder pressed to be a city to spend the entire time in. Certainly, Toledo overnight is recommended. Segovia is another interesting city that I enjoyed almost as much as Toledo. It is up in the mountains and is known for the old Roman Aqueduct that moved water until the 1930s or 40's. It is also known for great roast suckling pic and Segovian cake. So good. Though it might depend on your preferred travel pace, and I tend to recommend that people stay in day trip towns overnight, this when I might suggest you look at a day trip to both towns if it suits your pace.