Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary !

I've been trying to work out an itinerary for our trip in the first two weeks of October.
This is what I've got so far:
Arrive mid day in Madrid...........stay 3 nights with a day trip to Toledo.
Train to Seville.............3 nights with a day trip to Jerez.
Bus to Granada............1 night.
Bus to Cordoba............1 night.
Train to Barcelona.......4 nights ( already booked non-refundable Hotel ).
Train/Flight to Madrid..1 night before am flight home.
We have been to Madrid long ago but want to go to the Prado again and maybe do a City Tour.
We've been to Toledo too but it was a rushed tour bus trip so need to go again.
Saw the major sights in Seville last Spring ( again with a Bus tour ) and loved the city so this time we'd like to get a 'feel' of Seville.
Q1. Does this sound okay ?
Q2. Should we buy train/bus tickets now ? We are both over 65 so would we get the senior discount ?
Q3. Flying in from Barcelona to Madrid on the second last day seems like the best option to avoid travel to and from the City Centre to the Airport...or any other suggestion ?
Thank you !

Posted by
7175 posts

This makes more sense to me logistically ...

Arrive mid day in Madrid then AVE Train to Cordoba............1 night.
AVE Train to Seville.............3 nights with a day trip to Jerez.
Bus to Granada............2 nights.
Fly to Barcelona.......4 nights (already booked non-refundable Hotel ).
AVE Train to Madrid...........stay 3 nights with a day trip to Toledo.

Posted by
5206 posts

LadyGolfer,

Saw the major sights in Seville last Spring ( again with a Bus tour ) and loved the city so this time we'd like to get a 'feel' of Seville.

Regarding your comment above; spending 3 nights in Sevilla is equivalent to 2 full days there, but if you will be taking a day trip to Jerez, that only leaves you with one day to explore Sevilla.

By the same token, if you plan one night in Granada, you will only enjoy Granada for a few hours.

Bus travel time from Seville to Granada = 3 hours.
Train travel time from Granada => Barcelona = 6-7 hours

As David suggested, if would be more efficient to travel to Córdoba the day of arrival then => Sevilla => Granada=> Barcelona => Madrid.

Your trip will be a bit rushed, especially since you have 5 destinations (plus 2 day trips) for a 12-13 day trip.

Enjoy!

Edit: I forgot to answer your Q2. Yes you can buy your train ticket in advance if you want to save money or you can wait till you arrive. You are eligible to buy the 'Tarjeta Dorada'(Golden Card) once you arrive to Spain.

Here is more information about it:http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/tarjeta_dorada.html

Check train schedules on the Renfe website to get an idea how much you can save by buying tickets in advance vs. in Spain with discount card.

Posted by
15582 posts

David's itinerary is excellent and what I would do, but it seems that you are already locked into your round-trip flight to Madrid and your dates in Barcelona. In your place I would try very hard to work with the hotel to change your dates by a few nights to adopt his plan. If you can do that, then the following works:

Day 1 - at the airport, go to the Renfe agent and buy your Tarjetas Doradas (gold cards) for about €6 each and buy your tickets to Cordoba. With the purchase of the AVE train tickets to Cordoba, you'll get free tickets on the Cercanias (suburban train) to Madrid's Atocha station. The agent will sell you tickets to the next possible train connection to Cordoba. The cards entitle you to a 40% discount on tickets for trains on Mon-Thurs, 25% on Fri-Sun. You can only buy the card in Spain. There's too much uncertainty about when you will get to the train station to buy tickets in advance. You can often save more than the card discount by buying tickets as soon as they go on sale. To learn all about buying tickets, read this. If you are unable to buy online tickets with your credit card, use PayPal. There's a small fee, but you save big on the tickets. enjoy the evening in Cordoba

Day 2 - visit the Mezquita early, then other sights (skip the unimpressive Alcazar), pick up your bags and take a late afternoon or evening train to Seville. It's a fairly short trip, so it's not expensive. Use your card discount and buy tickets at the station when you're ready to leave. It's a short taxi ride to the train station in Cordoba and from the train station in Seville.

If you can't change your Barcelona dates, then on Day 1, consider going to Toledo for one night (then 2 nights in Madrid). Pack what you need for 1 night in an overnight bag (it's a good idea to have that in your carry-on anyway in case your checked luggage goes walkabout) and store the rest of your luggage in a locker at the Madrid train station. It's worth it to be in Toledo in the evening and morning when the day-trippers are back in Madrid.

There is no point to going to Granada for 1 night. If you can't stay 2, skip it. You simply won't have time to see the Alhambra with only 1/2 day. Instead of a night in Cordoba, leave Madrid early morning, store bags at the station, visit the sights and take a late train to Seville. Then bus (about 3 hours) from Seville to Granada. It will take you at least 8 hours by train from Granada to Barcelona. Flying will save you time.

Jerez If you can, visit on one of the days there's a horse show at the Real Escuela Andaluza Del Arte Ecuestre. The shows begin at noon. I believe that if you get there early, you can see the horses in the paddocks before the show. Buy tickets in advance. Take a taxi from the train station and then from the train station to the center. It's not worth the time to use buses and it's too far to walk. It's about a 20 minute walk from the center to the station, or you can take another taxi. Taxis are not expensive in Spain unless you get stuck in traffic (more likely in Madrid and Barcelona).

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you David, Priscilla and Chani.
I spoke with the Hotel in Barcelona and they kindly agreed to modify my reservation with just a small charge. Chani, I would never have tried to call and change a Non-Ref reservation, so thank you for suggesting it .
I can now book the way David has suggested.
I'll be back with more questions once I've Planned in more detail.

Posted by
7175 posts

What great news, and a huge shout out to Chani for expanding on my suggestions, and giving such wonderful detailed advice.
Day 1 Arrive midday in Madrid, then AVE Train to Cordoba............1 night
Day 2 Mezquita, then AVE Train to Seville.............3 nights
Day 3 Seville sights - neighbourhoods
Day 4 Day trip to Jerez
Day 5 Bus to Granada............2 nights
Day 6 Granada sights - Cathedral, Albaicin, Alhambra
Day 7 Fly to Barcelona.......4 nights (hotel reservation now modified with a small charge)
Day 8 Barcelona sights - Ramblas, Bari Gotico, Palau de la Musica Catalana
Day 9 Day trip to Montserrat (or Girona + Figueres) ??
Day 10 Barcelona sights - Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, Casa Mila (or Casa Batllo)
Day 11 AVE Train to Madrid...........3 nights
Day 12 Madrid sights - Prado
Day 13 Day trip to Toledo
Day 14 Fly home

Posted by
1178 posts

Some thoughts Even though you have been to Sevilla, I recommend a tour with Really Discover Sevilla...small groups, knowledgeable guides and they can put you in touch with a great flamenco show..go early and sit near the front.

Madrid has some great museums somewhat off the tourist track. Museuem Scoralla, near the Ruben Dario Metro Stop...small admission price, excellent museum in the house of the painter. Great sandwich shop across the street. Small crowds!!

Museum de Historia Madrid....free admission!!! At the Tribunal Metro Stop. When you exit the metro, you are at the front door of the museum. Excellent in every aspect from the building from the 1700s now updated to house the collection to the collection itself.

Museum de Romanticism....again, the Tribunal Metro stop, two blocks down Calle Funercarral (Spelling?) turn left and go four blocks...check the maps of any tourist stand for specifics. Small admission, again in a Palacio, and filled with great items...small admission charge.

Toledo. The Military Museum in the basement of the Alcazar (enter from the basement level) Excellent!!!

Museum de Santa Anna (Think that is the name, exit Plaza Zodocover through the keystone arch, turn left at the end of the stairs and you are facing it.) Changing exhibits are worth the view.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Posted by
10 posts

Thank You, HJ, for the tips , especially the Seville Tour that helps with booking Flamenco shows !

Posted by
15582 posts

LadyG, I am so glad it worked out. I've found that hotels are often flexible and try to be as helpful as possible.

Almost every sight has discounts for over-65s. Take advantage. If you don't see a senior price listed, ask.

Cordoba There's a 1-hour horse show at the Royal Stables, around 7 p.m. several nights a week. If there's one on your arrival day, try to see it, especially if you can't get to the one in Jerez. I'm not a horse lover and I loved both shows.

Seville On my last visit, I went to a flamenco performance at La Casa Del Flamenco, it was cheaper that others, and not as touristy - seating around a patio, no drinks or food, just good flamenco.

Granada I recommend the Nasrid Palaces night tour on your first night, then going back to see the whole complex the next day. The Palaces look completely different at night. To maximize your time, get a morning entrance with the Nasrid Palaces timed entry of 11.30 or later. You will be able to visit the other ticketed areas any time during the day, as well as the rest of the sight.

Barcelona I took one TI walking tour and it was very good. Walking tours are a good way to start your visit and will help you get oriented. Barcelona is "spread out." I found the metro was a good way to get around, faster than street level with its slow-moving traffic. You can get a 10-trip travel card that saves you money. I enjoyed the Font Magica (magic fountain) sound and light show after dark. Just watch out for pickpockets, it's pretty crowded.

Toledo I still recommend an overnight there. You can pack a small bag for one night when you leave Barcelona, then store the rest of your luggage at Atocha, pick it up when you come back and go to your Madrid hotel for your last 2 nights. Allow enough time between trains to get to the luggage storage - it's not far from the Barcelona train, at the far end of the atrium garden (right side as you walk toward it).