Please sign in to post.

Help with Barcelona Itinerary

Hello,

I think I’ve finally settled on a plan for the 2 full and 1 jet lagged day that we have in Barcelona.

Would love some advice on logistics/timings etc. I’m pre booking all the tickets to save time even though we’ll be there between 11/18-11/21, off season.

Day 0(Sunday)
Land @08:40

Check in early to our Airbnb.

11:00 free walking tour with runner bean of Gaudi sights
Citadel park
Maybe Barceloneta??

Day 2
08:00 Parc Guel

10:30 guided tour of San Pau( I’m not pre booking tickets just in case we don’t make it, otherwise a self guided audio tour)

2:00 Sagrada Familia( audio tour only, not planning on a tower climb)

5:00 Casa Mila

Sunset is at 6pm, so I’m planning on doing the roof of Casa Mila, and working down.

Maybe dinner somewhere on the eixample? Any suggestions?

Day 3

9:30 Barcelona Cathedral and roof climb

11:00 free walking tour of gothic quarter
3:00 tour of palace of Catalan music
5:00 Picasso museum

Posted by
27104 posts

Parc Guell doesn't open until 8:30 in November, and it may be pretty cool up there at that hour. Low temperatures may be down in the 40s, and I doubt that there will have been much bounce upward by the time you enter the park. You may still meet your planned arrival time at Sant Pau, depending on how much of the park you want to see and what form of transportation you use to get to Sant Pau. I suspect you won't have time for a full, sit-down lunch that day.

You'll have only two hours before the Picasso Museum closes, and some European museums start shooing people out surprisingly early. You'd think that would be enough time, but the museum is often packed to the gills, which seriously affects the speed at which you can move through the rooms. It's simply difficult to get close enough to the art to see it.

Otherwise, the timing looks good to me.

Posted by
62 posts

@acraven, you're right Parc Guell doesn't open until 8:30, so I guess we won't make the guided tour at Sant Pau. That's disappointing , because I think that's one place that we would benefit from a guided tour instead of an audio guide. How is their audio guide? Has anyone used it?

Yes, I agree 2 hrs is cutting it short at the Picasso museum, I'm hoping there will be less crowds because it's at the end of the day?? Is the audio tour worth it or should I do Rick's self guided one?

Posted by
27104 posts

When I went to Sant Pau they didn't yet have an audio guide, and there were very few English-language tours, so I just walked around and read the posted material. I was still there for 2 hours and had to rush through the last little bit, so there was a lot to absorb. I believe they have since opened more display areas, too. So I think there will be a lot to enjoy even if you take the do-it-yourself approach. I wouldn't be surprised if the running time of the audio guide is longer than the tour, either.

I took the tourist office's Picasso Tour, which ended with about an hour inside the museum. I know I had a headset, but I suspect it was one of those whisper devices used by some tour groups in crowded conditions. Therefore, I can't tell you how useful the audio guide would be. I have used them in many other art museums, though, and thought I benefited. (I have no training in art history.) I do find that using an audio guide in a museum or church tends to slow me down, because I still pause to read all the descriptive information posted on the wall.