Please sign in to post.

Health Insurance

I’ll be in Spain 3 weeks in August.

Does anyone here have experience with travel health insurance? I’m looking for something to cover any medical expenses in case I need treatment broken leg? Vaccine failure? )

I’m not worried about hotel expenses, etc. as I’ll be staying with family.

Posted by
2940 posts

Not answering your question, just adding related info: within most EU countries you're already covered for "emergency treatments" thru the universal healthcare offered to all citizens AND visitors.

This, however, doesn't include everything. A good point would be to know what exactly constitutes an emergency -other than the obvious. But there I can't help you, sorry, I don't know.

In any case, if you're not an EU citizen, or from a country with bilateral agreements, you'll be billed AFTER the treatment: https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/vida/asistencia-sanitaria-turistas-espana-turismo-medico_138119_102.html Also to mention, especially if you're visiting from the US, that, even if you have to pay costs over here are far far! less outrageous than over there.

Posted by
14995 posts

Try Insure My Trip. They will give you quotes from numerous companies.

Personally, I have used both Travel Guard and Allianz but have never had to put in a claim.

Also think about Medical Evacuation Insurance.

Posted by
4850 posts

Just to add to the others - be aware that most foreign medical centers will not have agreements in place to direct bill your insurance company. You would need to pay the hospital or doctor and then submit a claim to your insurance for reimbursement. Having access to emergency funds by credit card and/or debit card is a good thing to think about.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks for the info - after some comparison shopping, I found a very reasonable policy with GeoBlue. They are affiliated with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. They have a network of medical providers and will also reimburse self-pay if needed. I’ll have a zero dollar deductible and a very high coverage limit. There are network hospitals in neighboring towns as well as larger cities so I think I’m in good shape. They even have an app which helps you with policy info, helps you look up medical terms, find providers, etc. and they were able to issue policy documents in Spanish.

Emergency evacuation coverage is included as well as trip insurance… plus it turns out my credit card includes the same.

Posted by
270 posts

I don’t want to contradict anyone’s information here, but I am in Spain now. While in Nerja, I needed a doctor. The hotel had a doctor come, but I was charged $200 up front for the visit and almost $500 for transport to the hospital. I took out a policy with Allianz due to Covid concerns. It appears my bills will be reimbursed. Good luck.