Please sign in to post.

Granada to Madrid - bus or train?

DH and I will be traveling from Granada to Madrid on October 12 on the national holiday. I am trying to determine the best method of travel.

The ALSA bus is offering a premium bus at 15:00 for 90€, 4hr 30m ride. We'd have to taxi to the Granada bus station since it's so far out and then taxi to our hotel from the Madrid bus station when we get there. We'll be at Hotel Preciados.

RENFE website looks like there should be a train/bus at 14:45 for 136,80€, 3hr 56m ride. We could either walk or taxi to the Granada train station; probably would want to just get a taxi to the hotel in Madrid.

When you factor in the bus switch with the train option, does the train really keep the 3hr 56m time or does it take longer than that? The Madrid bus station seems much further out so I'm wondering if we'd spend more time and money getting to our hotel than if we'd take the train. However, luggage would be easy to stow on the bus. Thoughts on one being better than the other? I'd rather save time than money, though convenience is nice too.

Posted by
15584 posts

The reports here have been that the bus-to-train transfer is seamless. According to the hotel's website it's only 75 meters from either of two metro stations, so it would be easy to go from Atocha. It's probably going to be €10-20 for the taxi rides if you take the bus - maybe more if you get stuck in traffic because of the processions.

The Renfe shuttle bus is timed to arrive a few minutes before the train leaves. Trains don't encounter traffic, so it sounds like the train would be a little faster and not much more expensive.

Posted by
5212 posts

We traveled out of Granada (to Sevilla via bus) on October 12th last year, & the hotel staff warned us about leaving early so the taxi wouldn't get stuck in traffic due to the holiday's processions.

So, once you decide what mode of transportation you'll be taking from Granada, find out what time you should depart your hotel to avoid the parade traffic (many of the main streets are blocked & closed off to traffic)

We opted to take a different route (Arrive Madrid > AVE train to Córdoba> bus to Granada > bus to Sevilla > AVE train back to Madrid > train to Toledo) mainly to avoid the long trek from Granada to Madrid.

Have a wonderful trip!